1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First names you don't see anymore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Abigail Folger didn't work out very well.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I pity the obit page editors 25 years from now ...

Oh, wait — there won't BE any obit pages 25 years down the road. They'll be as obsolete as women named Cathy (sorry, Mrs. Coco!)

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Roscoe.
    Earlene.
    Mabel.
    Elmer.
    Florence.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My mom was born in 1917 in rural Idaho. Her name was Elsie. She had five sisters: Vaunda, Pauline, Marjorie Ethyl, Nelda and Louise. My dad's sister was Gladys.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

My paternal grandmother was born in 1911 in rural southwest Michigan and was named Millicent. Her mother was Florence. On my paternal grandfather's side we have Elwood, Maud, Ada and Delbert.
    On my mother's side it's all rather boring I'm afraid until you get to the people six generations back who were born in Germany.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I really thought Claire would be extinct by now with its status as a fat girl's name.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Wasn't "Emily" that way, too? About 30 years ago the only Emilys I'd known were old women. Last time I looked, it was the most popular girls name.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Ophelia. (And Levon).

9. old_tony

My Grandfather on my dad's side had three older sisters (all born just before or around 1900): Alma, Hildegarde and Meta. My mom's mother had sisters named Margie and Fonnie. My grandmothers were Irene and Dorothy. Another name you never hear anymore is Hester.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm nearing 30. Emily started to get back popular when I was born. My cousin is named Emily and there's quite a few I know around my age.

11. old_tony

Yeah, about 30 years ago, maybe a little more. I didn't notice it too much at first, but my brother and his wife named their daughter Emily (she'll be 21 in about two months) and the next thing I noticed was there were Emilys all over the place.

12. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

I had a grandmother named Verna. Never heard of anyone else with that name (although there was a Virna in the In Memoriam segment at the Oscars). And it looks like Hyundai is about to come out with a Verna model.

Draft saved Draft deleted