1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First name or last name

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rosie, May 22, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Rosie, I would put down just the first name but in brackets say the full name. Does that work?

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

I tried it both ways, and went with the first name. Using the last name just didn't look right.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I was going to say as long as you have a first reference in there for first and last name, then after that, since it's a column and a tribute at the end of a column (per your first post), it's fine to go with just the first name.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Moonlight sounds much less formal than Archibald, and cooler than Archie.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Rosie, I don't see the first problem in the world with using the deceased's first name after the first reference ... or another nickname, as long as it's not obscene.

Besides, it's a column. On top of offering your .02 as a tribute, that gives you the professional flexibility needed.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

No offense, CSC, but that's an awfully weird idea. "Things won't be the same around here without Johnny (John Smith)" Even "Johnny (Smith)."

I think newspaper writers have to assume their readers are not dumb as rocks.

And I think Rosie made the right call -- some writing rules are good. But good writing should trump every rule in the book.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Well put.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo.

As is the case with all rules.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, <i>you're</i> Schmoopy.

10. What he said.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Been there, done that, Rosie. Used the gentleman's first name throughout. It sounds like you had a good relationship with the individual. Do what is right in your heart.

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

WHAT????? HOW COULD YOU DO THAT??? How could you write about a living person as if they were dead???? THAT'S AWFUL!!!!!!! What a disgrace to Yogi!!!!!!

[/Simmons]

Sorry, couldn't resist. Rosie, I think you did the right thing here, if using Mr. wouldn't have worked for whatever reason (and I'm really curious as to what that reason is)

Draft saved Draft deleted