1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First movie experience to get you hooked on film

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, May 3, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

/Full fannish side eye at Dan.

You should catch the 501st Imperial Legion on parade sometime.

upload_2019-5-5_12-57-31.jpeg

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Mine is also Star Wars but for a totally different reason than anyone else. I’d been to the movie lots of times before it came out when I was 9. When I went to see Star Wars with a friend, by the time we got there, there weren’t any seats left together, so we each had to sit alone. For me, this was a revelation - you could go to the movies alone! A life-changing moment. To this day, I love - and prefer - going to the movies by myself and I do it all the time.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Brachiosaurus. ;)

That really was awe-inspiring. The effects hold up remarkably well 25+ years later (holy crap, Jurassic Park came out over 25 years ago!). It wasn't my first movie-going memory, but it was among the most memorable movie-going experiences of my life. I sat near the rear of the theater, and during the scene when Ellie Sadler (Laura Dern) goes into the bunker to restore power, she feels Sam Jackson's hand on her shoulder and says, "Oh, Mr. Arnold." Then she realizes it's been severed and BAM, the raptor attacks from the left side of the screen. I remember seeing every head in front of me tilt hard to the right in near perfect synchronization, along with the sound of many screams throughout the theater. It was so cool to see how perfectly the shot worked.

jlee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted