1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First look -- Sun Sentinel redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 11, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

All true, of course.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Jessica Alba Sax Tape

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

This design reminds me of the Boca Raton News' redesign during KR's "25/43" experiment, which ... failed ... in South Florida ... in 1990.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Bad example, because I move ahead right when I get to "Alba."

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

ok....

"(Demonstrably hot hoochie of your choice) Sax Tape."

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The new SunSentinel logo.

[​IMG]

The Safeway logo:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I get your point and yes, my post was a bit hasty and abrupt.
    I was just thinking back to the last time I judged a writing contest. I went in saying that a story can't win if it has a bad lede. So I started out by reading the ledes and narrowing it down. Some of the other judges liked this one story. I didn't have it in my top five. I thought the lede was bad. I read the whole story, it was pretty good. But still, I didn't think I could justify propping a story that had a bad lede.

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I love the fact that "serious designers" around the country will congratulate the SunSentinel for doing something "so bold and innovative."

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Whatever its merits, or lack or merits, this is one of those prototypes that seems as if it would be devilishly difficult to sustain day in and day out.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It's disgusting.

The "S" logo looks, indeed, like a supermarket logo. After seeing the Safeway logo it appears the Sun-Sentinel (hyphenated, you Tribune motherfuckers!) has decided to be the bastard cousin hiding in the back bedroom with its "bold" logo.

A major problem with this logo change and terrible redesign is the brand gets lost amid 39 teases and garish colors. What helped give the paper its first-look identity - its name - now is buried amid a slag heap of melted Crayolas so another tease can be added: "Puppies, kitties find love and warmth in new homes: B1".

Readers will not look at a rack of papers and say, "Oh, there's the Sun-Sentinel" because they see the plainly-obvious name. They'll say, "There's my ugly-ass local newspaper" and ignore it.

What "name logo" would the L.A. Times use? LAT or just T? If the Sun-Sentinel had its hyphen amputated, would the Times lose its periods? When will the Chicago Tribune become the CTrib? Or maybe C'rib?

Zell, Michaels and Abrams are complete fuckups.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I mean, removing the hyphen that is part of the company name is .... innovation? It seems like sloppiness and inaccuracy, intentional at that.

Is THAT the first subliminal image you want readers taking away from your paper EVERY day.... inaccuracy?

Also, re: that hideous S: I have been told, the Lifestyle section will have a like-minded "L" and Business a "B."

Anyone want to guess what Sports will get? Wait for it... the same S that is on the front.

12. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted