1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First look -- Baltimore Sun redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 22, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey guys: I touched off the firestorm of debate with the SunSentinel's redesign, so I figured I'd light a match and duck out of the way. The Sun has a new look at its paper posted online. There are elements I like and elements I don't, but let's see what everyone thinks. Have at it. ;D

http://www.baltimoresun2.com/reinvention/readerguide.pdf

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Do they still have sports as a tab?

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I don't care for the "stand up" mug shots and something makes me think of a magazine looking at the designs. Sports is a little too far-out, too.

But overall it's not different in a scary, vomit splatter-on-a-page way like the Sun-Sentinel. I'll have to look at The Sun it a few more times.

I don't understand changing the name. The Sun has worked for 171 years and that's their brand. Why fuck around with that? Adding a tiny Baltimore in the banner won't matter. It's hidden amid that glob of logo in the middle anyway.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Eh. Blah.

5. VJ

VJ Member

So the tab experiment lasted what, 9 months?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You know what we need?

Full body colsigs and more yellow screens.

That's the fucking ticket.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I love changing the name to The Baltimore Sun.

I like the use of color and increased consistency in format with three broadsheet sections instead of combining broadsheet and tabloid formats. I like using more photos and color to illustrate stories.

I don't like going to four columns. That really limits layout options. I don't like calling the features section You. Reminds me too much of "Soulja Boy."

I HATE the effort to try to make The Baltimore Sun appear to be a newsmagazine. It's a daily newspaper for Chrissakes!

8. VJ

VJ Member

I just hope there wasn't 50+ hours spent on debating switching to The Baltimore Sun, as if that's going to make a difference in circulation or profitability. And considering recent layoffs, those should be the #1 concerns.

9. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

What's with the hands-in-pocket or arms-crossed poses? What's next, leaning up against a lamppost? A fedora with a "Press" card in the band?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hello, Europe! </keithjackson>

11. I guess I'll be the first to say it. I love it.

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

The stand-up mugs have got to be the worst thing I have seen yet. These Tribune redesigns have been so hideous, they almost make Bakersfield look good by comparison. One would have to suck pretty bad to fall that far, but these come very close.

Draft saved Draft deleted