1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First job out of college

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PEteacher, Jul 9, 2006.

?

Where was your first journalism job out of college at?

1. Weekly

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. Daily circ. less than 10,000

12 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Daily circ. 10,000 to 24,999

29 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Daily circ. 25,000 to 49,999

16 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. Daily circ. 50,000 to 74,999

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Daily circ. 75,000 to 99,999

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. Daily circ. 100,000 to 149,999

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. Daily circ. 150,000 to 199,999

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  9. Daily circ. 200,000 to 299,999

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  10. Daily circ. 300,000+

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  11. New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Wall Street Journ

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  12. Magazine

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  13. Trade publication

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

started off at about a 15k doing mostly preps and moved to an online gig about 10 months later

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Same job I have now...at a family-owned 15,000 circulation daily. Been there eight years. Does that mean it's a great place to work, or am I just a slacker? :D

3. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Yes, Bo is a close personal friend and someone I spent lots of time with in Dallas. He and wife Jo met me out for BBQ more than once (and often picked up the tab) or we'd meet for eats over by the Inwood Theater.
    Esteemed former Mississippi State assistant SID and a graduate of Vanderbilt. Helluva guy who recently considered coming back to the Deep South with the Alabama SID job.
    He'd have been perfect. Even in that often-political T-Town climate.
    Bo personifies all that a "sports information director" should entail.
    His two trademark lines:
    How can I help you?
    Thank you.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I wonder if Bo Carter has any idea how many sportswriters hold him in such high esteem. Probably just thinks he's "just doing his job."

A few years back, at the Big 12 hoops tourney, a few of us didn't finish our work before the last shuttles to the media lot left, so we were looking at a long trek carrying our laptop bags ... until Bo came to the rescue.

He sees us leaving the media room and tells us the shuttles aren't running anymore, so he gives us a ride in his car. And we were just a couple of schmucks working for a 7K-circ paper.

What a guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted