1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First great white shark tracked in Long Island Sound

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, May 20, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fishermen hate the seals, as seals eat fish. So the seals were killed by fishermen almost to extinction in the '60s, which is one reason the MMPA passed into law. There are many many fewer fishermen now than back then, so they could probably cull the herds without threatening the species. But that won't solve the main problem. The seals have moved closer to shore to avoid the sharks (leaving more fish for humans to catch further out) and the sharks have moved right in with them.

Liut likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If I’m a pool builder, I’m basically turning this into a commercial campaign for why to buy pools.

lakefront and Batman like this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because of the cold, wet spring here, the ocean temperature off the Cape is still just a degree or two above 50. If it takes the usual time to warm up, shark season won't be until late August.After Labor Day, the tourists go home, so this will limit swimmer risk (surfers are always at risk of shark attacks all over the world). It is my guess that a search for warmer water is what drove the shark into Long Island Sound in the first place.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Just can't close the beach before labor day. The mayor would be pissssssssssed.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

You are statistically more likely to be killed by the following more than sharks: falling coconuts, high school/college football, cows, dogs, icicles, autoerotic asphyxiation, lightning, and toppling vending machines.

The overwhelming majority of shark attacks are because the shark mistakes a human for a main food source such as seals or sea turtles. From below, a person on a surfboard or boogie board with arms protruding looks like a seal or a sea turtle.

Bull sharks are actually more dangerous to humans than great whites.

Peter Benchley actually lamented that he wrote Jaws because of the negative publicity it gave sharks.

6. Driftwood

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

True enough. I think that "Jaws" touched something deep in our monkey brains, the fear of being eaten as a prey animal. That triggers a primal fear inside of us.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Anybody see Anthony Jeselnik's Shark Party? He describes it on one of his Netflix specials. He roots for the sharks.

[EDIT] The photo used in the video is a friend of the person who posted the video, not the victim.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

10. Driftwood

I just bought this shirt the other day. Seems appropriate.

[​IMG]

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Live look-in ....

[​IMG]

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted