1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First football game of the season is over in California.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Jun 29, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. The wind blows like crazy at that launching pad.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I see High Desert kicked a couple of field goals.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm more impressed by both starters, after their nights of suckitude, having the same 4.54 ERA.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Teams combined for 10 home runs. SIX Lake Elsinore players had at least four hits, one had five. And congrats to High Desert DH Joseph Dunigan for taking a collar in a game with a combined 58 hits.

The guy with the 135.0 ERA was the starting catcher, so I suppose that can be forgiven.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

the starting pitcher for high desert is a local product. that's most likely the worst outing he's had, counting high school.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Clark.

Matt Clark?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

California League is some good minor league baseball. High A and AA is probably the most fun to watch. Players have had some success and they haven't peaked or plateaued yet.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I agree. AA is where you see the kids coming up that can play. AAA has a few of these as well, but it's also full of retreads, dead-enders and "tweener" guys.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I clearly didn't look at the box score close enough. I'm sorry for giggling now. Catchers shouldn't pitch!

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Florida State League is the same, if considerably more depressing, given the preponderance of empty seats in spring-training parks. Sarasota's attendance the other night was 211.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Wow. Most of the Carolina League teams draw pretty well, save for Winston-Salem, which is struggling with a stadium issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted