1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First football Friday ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 26, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

... didn't go as badly as I feared.

Typical stuff ... everything waaaay delayed for "heat timeouts," lots of usually reliable teams that didn't call, a few miscommunications inside as a new inside team tries to adjust. We didn't make THE deadline, but we made MY deadline.

But, hey, it's one down and 10 to go.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We had 10 injury timeouts due to cramping, so the game didn't end till 10:30. Then we had the postgame meetings and prayer. Then the fucking radio guys stole the two players and the coach I needed to talk to. Then the opposing coach laced into his kids for 10 minutes then wouldn't talk, so I had to talk to a player. Then it took me 15 minutes to get out of the winding, clusterfuck of a parking lot, so I didn't get back to the office till 11:15. So I had 15 minutes to write my story. Good times. ::)

3. Rambler

Rambler Member

I got my ass kicked. Horribly.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Second Friday of the season for me, finding a new role -- I've turned in my pen for a microphone and have become a pbp announcer.

Nice part: When the game ends and I pull my headseat off, my day is done :).
    Bad part: You have to spend all week preparing and be there 2 hours early to get ready, instead of rolling in 20 minutes before kickoff.

Nice part: I just have to spend the game describing what I see, instead of trying to come up with a lede.
    Bad part: My voice is completely shot.

I've had a couple of pretty good games to call, too, in my first two. Tonight -- three go-ahead scores in the last 2 minutes, including the last one with 9 seconds left in a big rivalry game. Last week, a 51-yard TD run in the final three minutes of what was a tie game.

So, things have gone pretty well for me, especially after shaking the rust off not having called a game for years and years and years ... I think I nailed it tonight :).

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I start tomorrow... wish me luck...

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Buena suerte, Cadet.

7. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

What is a heat timeout? We don't have those here in TX and it's hotter than hell. Football Friday starts next Thursday for me

8. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Ours went bad. We have a rookie editor who didn't catch shit (the other writer and I had to re-edit all the copy) and didn't save his pages. So when Quark crashed he had to start the section front and page 2 from scratch. This was at 11:30.

My game went into 2OT, but I still made my story deadline (not like it would have mattered).

Of note, an eight-man game had a final score of 95-60. Box score (7pt agate) was almost three inches.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Sucked! I'm already sick of it. Can't wait for November.

10. I got harassed by my ME for not putting a scrimmage on the front page over two REAL regular season openers. What a fucking homer he is. Did I mention he also covered said scrimmage/jamboree?

My photos were shit and I got them an hour and a half late. At least my staff writers did solid job on opening night. I got stories and boxes pretty quick. They were the lone highlight of the night.

And I've got 10+ more weeks of this shit? ::)

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

And one more week until the first Saturday of the season, as well ... high praise to those who regularly pull the Friday-Saturday double.

12. Keystone

Keystone Member

Still have a week to go. Finally finished with the preview crap. :p

Now I have to deal with the fanatics who want to know how "such and such" is doing.

Got my crash helmet on. My ride's going to last until mid-December.

Draft saved Draft deleted