1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Episode of SNL on NBC now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JakeandElwood, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Guest

Is this the only time Carlin hosted?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Welcome, Strong Bad!! How are Strong Sad and Strong Mad doing?

3. Albert Brooks was supposed to be the permanent host of the show but he thought the show would be better with a new host each week.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Amazing seeing Carlin do his stuff. Watching him you realize how many comedians he influenced (Robin Williams, Stephen Wright, Louis Black, Seinfeld...) and to think that Billy Crystal was sitting in the on-deck circle off-stage when the show ended, unable to go on because they ran out of time. Whatever happened to Valerie Bromfield? The skits weren't as funny or edgy as I remembered, but I guess looking back in comparison to other shows at the time, it was. The skits were much shorter and punchier. Funny hearing Don Pardo mess up the Not For Ready Prime Time Players. Anybody notice how much mugging for the camera Chevy Chase did even on episode one?

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I heard a snippet from Carlin the other day in which he said they wanted him to wear a nice jacket, but he didn't want to, so he compromised and wore a t-shirt underneath.

Also, he told Lorne Michaels he didn't want to be in any skits, just do monologues.

And, finally, he barely remembers it. He said he heard he was so coked up that they had to come get him at his hotel for a rehearsal. He didn't remember that instance, but at the same point didn't doubt its veracity.

And for those who read Tom Shales' book: Those fucking muppets!

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

There are some of Carlin's monologues on Hulu.com right now, but I can't find a full episode on there.

Draft saved Draft deleted