1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Derek Lowe, now Villiaraigosa. Must be that LA H2O

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Our illustrious moderators could move this to Sports and News, but I started it here because of the journalistic ethics variable to the equation.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-me-telemundo6jul06,1,302872,full.story?coll=la-news-a_section

I love how there's even a question about the Telemundo anchor/reporter's ethics here, as if there's even room for debate.

BTW, Steve Lopez's column on this subject is priceless.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

You know the old saying. It's not who you know, it's who you ....

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Antonio Villar is an absolute tool and would probably be the worst thing that ever hit California. But that TV babe is going through every Latin politician she can find apparently. Good for her I guess, but Telemundo should have axed her ass a long time ago. I have a feeling that'll be coming soon now that it's all public. BTW, her taste in pols sucks.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oh, her ass got axed ...

5. markvid

markvid Guest

As it should. She repeatedly lied about it to her bosses.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Some of that H2O has filtered over to Dallas. Police chief was schtooping a cute Channel 11 reporter and now they're married.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2006-12-07/news/fifth-time-s-the-charm/

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

You left out the w there Xan.

9. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

among
    among other things.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Great column by Lopez.

As an aside, this is one more reasons I just love our readers: I sit next to our paper's online editor and he read to me the other day one of the e-mails he screens for the Web site. It was from a local resident who was upset that we would run columns written by a woman who was having an extramarital affair with a big-city mayor.

Now let's review: MIRTHALA Salinas is the Telemundo reporter who is involved with Villaraigosa. MARIA ELENA Salinas is the commentator for Univision (a separate Mexican network) and has a syndicated column, which our paper uses occasionally.

Oh, well, all those Hispanic names sound the same, anyway, right?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Update:

Salinas to find out Monday if she gets to keep her job. I can't believe there's even any debate at this point.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Actually, their sister station in LA, KNBC, did a 5-minute lead story the other night on the affair.
    In the words of The Hawk:

She gone!

Draft saved Draft deleted