1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Democratic debate tonight! Who will win??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Apr 26, 2007.

?

Who "wins" (outright or via expecations) the Democrat's debate tonight?

1. Hillary

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Barack

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Edwards

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Other

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Who's Bill Mahr?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

When Democrats slither out from under their rocks appear in public and can't hide behind their spin-miesters speak their minds about their real priorities, there's only one real winner:

The Republicans.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe the White House term is "surrender date."

4. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Typing too fast - lol & so what?

Interesting to note in the poll above that NO ONE thinks Hillary will win.

Hmm, what happened to the "heir apparent" on the Dem side. Is that a sign of things to come?

Are people sick of the Clinton's

Or is this just a subtle realization of what she always was...the much weaker sidekick of the two Clinton's that coattailed in on good ole Bill?

Propping her up served many agendas for Bill and mostly kept him in the game. Being Senator from NY is one thing (and it appears she serves that constituency well) but now asking the country to step her up to President...well that is going to be interesting.

I can't say I know the final answer there but those are the questions being asked now.

I will say this Hillary is a MUCH bigger lightweight than most think & selling the "Hillary is so experienced/sharp" is one of the biggest frauds ever. That will be exposed.

What election has she won that wasn't basically handed to her?

Where would she be without Bill?

Think I am the only one thinking this...ha ha guess again. Why does Bill do so many of her fundraisers & why did she announce so recently that Bill would not be "Ambassador to the World" if she were elected (err...is that like almost Co-President???)

You tell me.

JDV

5. John D. Villarreal

Ha ha ha, touche'

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wish I was joking, JDV. The spokeschick actually used that term in connection with the Democrat's bill. The president will veto any bill that includes a "surrender date," etc. etc.

7. John D. Villarreal

Biden is done after his Imusesque comments regarding BO, but he never had a real chance (except in his own mind). My own opinion is that Biden is a corny, cheesy, slimeball that is also more of a lightweight then they portray him (& that opinion is shared by others).

To be sure he has some capabilities and knowledge & serves his side like a good journeryman. This position is just clearly out of his league for many reasons.

Richardson is a horse of a dif color. I like Bill and he has positioned himself well over the years as reasoned, experienced, and capable.

He also does a good job of talking to the other side and not being a hyperbolic partisan.

I don't see Richardson winning the nomination under any circumstances, but I do see him as a good pick for VP due to the above and demographic/geographic considerations

JDV

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It will also be interesting to what extent Obama takes the high road, especially this early.

The average cynical person (and I certainly am one of those) underestimates Obama's appeal with his anti-mudslinging message.

Part of me thinks he'll try to remain above the fray this early, much as I'd like to see him just hammer Hilary on her war position.

9. John D. Villarreal

Oh God! Wow, thanks for the info. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.

Well, like I said the Democrats are invested in America's defeat as any victory is a victory for Bush/Rep and the Dems just want to win at the cost of our security and the World's safety it appears.

Look people, radical Islam is real and must be confronted. Putting your head in the sand and "playing nice" ain't going to cut it.

Why do you think so many Jewish Americans are defecting to the Republicans now - they have seen this appeasement before and the results. I am connected with big-time Jewish Democratic campaign $/donors and there is some serious concern there. Israel faces the threat of radical Islam every day.

Look, I have many friends from all over the Middle East and there are many good Muslim people and families I know (large Muslim population in Bay Area). However, I am quite troubled that moderate Islam is so silent in condemning radical Islam. It appears that there is little appetite or courage to confront/temper their radical brethren. You have to ask yourself why that is.

Yes, more diplomatic efforts with moderate Islam will help and we need to build bridges and "win hearts & minds" but if you think for one second that there is not a war to be fought (here, there, or somewhere else) I would say you are naive.

Believe me I wish I were wrong.

JDV

10. John D. Villarreal

Agreed,

I can't say what Obama will do as there is opportunity both ways (high road/attacking). If I were him I would attack her to show how she is out of step with the party. The more he can make her look less inevitable/appealing the more he wins. Having had such a great fundraising swing this is his chance to really shine and knock her off the top.

Yet, he may not have to attack as Edwards surely will. As a trained trial lawyer he will be slicing up Hillary flashing that Breck Girl smile all the way. Heck he has to that is his only shot. Check to see how many times he asked Hillary to admit her war votes were wrong like he did.

Tonight is going to be fun!!

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

JDV, if you knew politics one-tenth as much as you think you do, you'd realize that the war is a losing issue.

How can a candidate win office on the wrong side of an 80-20 issue that most voters regard as top two in importance?

12. John D. Villarreal

Zeke,

Doing the right thing does not always = doing the politically expedient thing.

Also, while the war is unpopular (mostly because people think we are losing in part due to mainstream media bias & in part to facts on the ground and the difficulty of the task) it is also true that polls show that Americans do not want us to lose, nor will they warm up to candidates that seem gleeful in our defeat or simply defeatist in general.

American's don't like to lose & God bless us for that!

John D. Villarreal

Draft saved Draft deleted