1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First day of school

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why the hell do school boards feel it's necessary to start classes at the beginning of August? How many fucking days off are the little darlings getting now?

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

it seems like we've been hearing for decades about changing the school calendar. summer vacation is awesome when you're a kid but it's a remnant from the agrarian era.

not that i'm worried about it now but with a little one on the way and a wife who works full time, as will i, i don't really understand what the heck i'm supposed to do with the kid during the summer when she's too young to be by herself. i know there are tons of camps and stuff but i'm not in a field where i can take off in the middle of the day to go pick up the kid.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My kids started school today, too.
    Of course, neither lives at home. One is a doctoral candidate and the other is a college senior.
    I still made them e-mail me all the details of their classes, their day, etc.
    The Queen has a series of first day of school pictures all over the house. Seems like the dogs of the times always worked their way into those pictures.

First day was always fun, full of anticipation.
    Second day? Bored already.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

Mine don't start until after Labor Day, so it's another 2 weeks of fun.
    My youngest starts full-time kindergarten so for the first time in 7 years, I will be child free during the day.
    I know I'm going to miss them because they get out at 2:30, I go in to the paper at 3 and get home near midnight.
    But we have the weekends and had a great summer.
    It's going to be weird having the house to myself, well, except for the 2 cats my wife got the girls in June.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I envy you.

When my baby gets into full day school, I may end up changing jobs or beats in order to have my nights with them. I'm eagerly looking forward to being free of them, but man, I'm going to miss them.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They're not. They start school this early to maximize the number of days in school before the standardized tests. Why they can't move those, I don't know. But that's the main motivation. Gotta get those scores up, whether kids are actually learning or not.

Florida schools are only starting today because the state legislature mandated that school couldn't start more than two weeks before Labor Day. Last year, they were starting on the 3rd or 4th, and probably earlier than that. And the crying that went on from local school boards, you would not believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted