1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First day of school

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Aug 20, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

What's with everyone starting school in the third week of August? I thought that was only a Florida thing.

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

One of the counties in our metro area sent the kiddos back to school three weeks ago.

That's right -- JULY THIRTIETH. Right in time for the hottest August on record in more than 15 years. Nitwits.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

We do it down south 'cuz our younguns need that additional time for learnin' reading and ciphering, so we can close the gap on you rust belters on SAT scores.

The Georgia state board of education motto: "Hey, at least we beat Mississippi".

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jesus. When do they get out of school? March 15?

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My oldest started high school two weeks ago. My youngest just started the eighth grade. Scared shitless I am.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

so did you not notice the school when you bought (or rented) the place?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In North Carolina, they were starting school in the first week of August for a few years. Not surprisingly, the parents - and probably the tobacco farmers - griped loudly and it's back to late August.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Summer loves you too, big boy.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Graduation and the last day didn't really do anything for me. It was just a formality and time to take pics with family and friends to put in the scrapbook. Last day of high school I wanted to throw all my books in the air after the last bell and go nuts. Instead, I think I just got in my car and drove home or to a friend's house. In college I thought it might be odd having my "last class ever," but I never got that feeling. I drank a lot of the night before and overslept the lab, which was just a party anyways. I showed up as everyone was coming out of the building.

First days on the other hand were always pretty fun. You didn't quite know what you were getting into. You had heard of the teachers and how they might be, but now you get to experience them for yourself. Also, I liked seeing everyone again. In summer you hang out with friends, but it's nice to get back to school and see the random people you sit my in class and small talk with or people who for some reason you didn't hang out with or keep up with in the summer.

As for school in the third week of August, I'm pretty sure most Midwest school are that way. At least I grew up in IL, OH and MO and that was the norm.

Good luck to all the parents out there.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

My brother started seventh or eighth grade a few weeks ago in southern Indiana. School is air conditioned, yet they had a week and a half of heat-related early dismissals because the A/C couldn't keep up.

11. joe

joe Active Member

so did you not notice the school when you bought (or rented) the place?
    [/quote]

Yeah, but I moved in in June and didn't realize that it apparently is a requirement that every kid gets a ride to school from mommy or daddy. Sheesh. Ride the bus already.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Those 15 to 20 minutes of dropoff and pickup time must be absolute torture for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted