1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First day of Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Sep 4, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

preschool started this week for little jps. it's only twice a week for three hours in the morning, but it's still a pretty major deal -- for her and her parents.

she's all excited about the whole thing and was thrilled to put on her new 'pack-pack' this morning, despite the fact that the only thing it has in it is some lip gloss stuff in the front little pouch she uses sometimes to be like mommy.

the best was when I had to leave her on that first day this week (mrs. jps is teaching, so couldn't be there - big bummer for her, but she recognized it made it sort of special for the little one and me) ... another little girl was crying and hugging her mom saying 'but I don't want you to go,' etc. mine, I say I've gotta leave, and asked for a hug.

"no, just go daddy."

parents and teacher kind of grinned, and I asked again. she gives me a hug - she's gotta hug both sides of your neck for some odd reason. we're not european ... not sure where that came from - and I asked if she'd be ok.

"yes. I'll be fine daddy. see you later!"

that got some more grins. she's so damn grown up at three it's unbelievable.

2. jps

jps Active Member

oh, and how in the hell do you guys remember kindergarten? I mean, crap, I don't recall much until I at least got into the early numbered grades, and even that's kind of vague. I didn't even smoke pot and tend to be more of a casual drinker if anything -- I swear.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've got it worse. I don't remember kindergarten or much about the early grades (memory suppression, anyone?), but I've never forgotten my pre-school teacher.

For some reason, I can still picture her and hear her voice in my head meting out justice in a way 3-year-olds could understand.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

TP, I know from other posts how you feel about the Heartbreakers, so that means a lot.

Bubs, I know where you are coming from. I had a change in schedule not long ago that cut into my time with my daughter. I know it's rough. ducky is right. We just have to make the most of the time we do have with them.

Your comment about being proud of them growing up also hit home. I'm a bit nervous today, but more than anything that's exactly how I felt watching my little girl climb on that bus on her own as if she had been doing it forever.

I remember quite a bit about Kindergarten, just not the first day. I can still picture the first grader I had a crush on (Tracy Ruben. No idea if I'm spelling that right). I have no idea what happened to her, but last I hear her brother became a model (so my mother told me). I remember this really aggressive kid named Eli biting me and getting revenge a couple of years later by taking his entire collection of 1979 Pirates' baseball cards in a flip-card game (I was a master). I remember my older brother scaring the crap out of a couple of first graders started a fight with me, one of the rare moments from childhood that we ever did anything nice for one another.

I'm sure Miss OOP's experiences will be very different, though I have already taught her to play flip cards (she cheats). For the moment, her true love is Troy from High School Musical, so hopefully the first-grader boys won't hold her interest. I also kinda doubt that I would have come back from orientation telling everybody that my teacher looks like Cinderella as she did. (Mine looked more like a white-haired Dr. Ruth, if memory serves).

I can't wait to hear a report from her tonight.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've got a scary memory. I vividly remember preschool, but I can also describe, in some detail, a hotel room my family stayed in when I was 19 months old. We don't have any photos or home movies of it, but I can see it very clearly and both my parents confirm that I remember it correctly.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Congrats OOP and everyone else.

I will be a basket case.

It's five years away, and I am already dreading it.

Lil 93 spends her day in day care and that does not bother me.

Kindergarten, though, I will be a mess.

And I know I will be a "what did you do at school today" daddy at the dinner table.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I remember shooting an M&M down my throat with a toy gun when I was 4. That's probably my earliest. Oh, and I stapled a He-Man toy to my finger. I was a bright kid.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My one and only started kindergarten in early August. My wife and I dropped him off together for the first day, then I stayed behind for the parents' breakfast at the school. (The wife teaches at the high school next door and had her own first day to deal with.)

It was, and remains hard. I stayed home with him until he was 3 1/2, then we moved and sent him to the home daycare my mother-in-law runs. But this has been gut-wrenching. It doesn't help that he is bored by school, where they cover things (shapes, alphabet, one-syllable sight words) that he had down cold two years ago. We don't want to be "those parents" but we know he needs more.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

On my daughter's first day of Kindgergarten, my wife cried. When our son started last week, she was more composed. I, however, got a little choked up. He's my little guy, you know! It was so cool to see on the 2nd and 3rd day that he was so eager to go back that he made us leave early and he was standing there, first in line, holding his little bag. So cute!

After paying for preschool for at least one kid for about six years, it's great to know I'm done paying tuition until college (not that public schools still don't soak you for "donations" but you get the idea).

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I don't have any kids, but I do remember two things about my first day.

First, I remember the sun being so bright that it screwed up my eyes and I just saw things in black and white. Second, the big red apple that was pinned to my shirt that had my bus number on it.

I guess my first day of preschool went pretty smoothly too. My mom said that she stayed at the window certain that I would cry and need her. I just went in and never looked back.

11. Mine started pre-k last week at a montessori school. That morning my daughter wakes up all wide-eyed and excited and then stops. The smile disappears and she says, 'What if I'm scared.' She then hid under her covers.

Luckily it was only the orientation that day. We got to go with her as the teachers explained the drop-off process and showed them where to put their belongings.

The next day she woke up all bright-eyed, threw on her clothes and, once we got to the school, never looked back. She loves every minute of it.

Unfortunately, she 'can't remember' any thing she does at school. I'm like, 'did you sing?' Yes. What did you sing? 'I don't remember.'

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Get used to it, w-b.

Draft saved Draft deleted