1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First day of Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I remember kindergarten, but I remember something else more clearly.

My daughter was born on Sept. 11, back in the 90s. We picked her up early from school on that day in 2001 because her school had received a bomb threat.

I remember her bouncing to the car, a huge smile on her face, gushing, "Mommy, daddy, happiness is being six!!"

She had no clue. After she learned what had happened, it took her about two more years to quit taking the attacks personally. A classmate told her that the terrorists attacked on her birthday on purpose.

Sorry to be a downer, but that's all I can remember...

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm sure she wanted me to call her Mrs. --, but I'm not sure I did. I did while my dad taught me for four years in high school. My parents didn't favor any of their kids -- they taught three of the four, only me for kindergarten and high school; it was a timing thing. I don't think it was a problem. It was unavoidable in kindergarten, unless they asked her to not teach that year or had me learn the same lesson twice a day every day.

3. Can't leave on that note.

OOP, it's a magical day, that first day.

Keep in mind it keeps getting better. You don't think it can, but it does.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

kids are so cute at that age.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gawd, that's awful....

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You should have taught your daughter to say, "I love you" in Arabic just to fuck with the kid who told her that. :D

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huggy Jr. started grade three Tuesday. I took him to school, found his class (he is in a portable for the first time), met his teacher (he'd met her at the end of his grade two year) and he got in his line. He was chatting with some other kids he knows then the bell rang, I gave him a high five and off he went.

Due to our crazy schedules during the school year we rarely are able to take him to school or pick him up (a neighbour drives him and some other kids on the street). I remember little about his first day of kindergarten other than the wife and I both took him for what may be the only time ever.

He took to school right from the first day. He loves it and gets bummed when there is no school because of snow.

I remember almost nothing about my own schooling until grade seven or so.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought this was about kindergarten memories. Not college!

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Crap. My fault, guys.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When I dropped mine off, I had to pull over a little down the road to compose myself.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As a parent, I hate going into a school. It feels strange. You never saw parents at the elementary school when I was in school. Now they come in and visit classes and each lunch with the kids.

I have done that, but I still feel like an invader. Of course, I spent a lot of time in school sitting in front of the principal's office.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Today was my littleist one's first day of kindergarten. The past few days, he has woken up in the morning crying and saying "I don't want to go to school." He did that today, as well.

But when the bus came, he had a big smile and hopped right on. My wife followed him to school (I had to stay home to get our older son on the bus because he goes to a different school), and said he was very happy once he got there.

Even though it's a pretty big milestone, it doesn't quite feel that way. The little one has gone to preschool the last couple of years by bus, because he has special needs. He also just ended summer school a couple of weeks ago. Still, it's a happy day in the Scicluna household.

I have a couple of memories of my first day in kindergarten. We had just moved to a new town, and my mom took me into the school office and into the classroom. She said she would see me later, and I sat down with the other kids in front of a large calendar, where we discussed the days of the week. I remember being a little miffed that my mom did not come back right away.

The second memory is of the bus ride home. Since we just moved, I vaguely knew the route home. Halfway through, I was worried that I was on the wrong bus. Several blocks from my house, I got off and somehow found my way home. My parents were upset with the driver for not keeping me on the bus.

Draft saved Draft deleted