1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First day at new job stories...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Sep 2, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm sure she taught her kids all about ethics. As for my first day, no great story to tell. It was pretty uneventful.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

My worthless two cents:
    One job at a small pub I was interviewed by the ME and the publisher for the SE job. I was looking to move (something about a girl) so I overlooked the fact that the publisher was taking the lead in the interviewing. I end up getting hired and my first day I show up and ask where the publisher is. Turns out he was fired the day before I started. A few months later the ME left, too.

At my first small daily gig I was interviewed by the Ad Manager because the ME was on maternity leave. Again took the job anyway (again something about a damn girl) About a month after I started the Ad Manager was fired.

Crazy thing is both jobs worked out better than expected. Moral of the story: Don't hire me unless you're looking to get canned.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My first official day at my current gig was production day. So I had to put a newspaper together as soon as I got in.

I don't remember if I had breakfast or lunch. I remember dinner was Ledo's pizza. That was courtesy of the production manager buying it and sharing some pieces of tomato slice-topping pizza with me.

I had to run a staff meeting on my second official day. I don't remember a whole lot about it except for six words I told the two young reporters who were now my staff: "I expect five stories a week."

The rest, as they say, is history.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

So, you're saying this story happens in the future?

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This one time I went in for a job interview, and the guy I was replacing stole my backpack. He claimed it was a coincidence, and returned the back, but my money and credit cards were missing along with my underwear.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Was it Tatum Bell?

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

finally, we have a winner

8. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

At one of my first jobs at a weekly I was interviewed by the outgoing editor who was moving on to a daily. She kept stressing how hard the job was and the time it involved.
    My first day was a production day. I should've noticed somthing was up when I saw the production department come in with a large amount of food.
    I started at around 10am and worked diligently. I finished at around 7-7:30pm and apologized for being late.
    The old editor didn't get done until 1 or 2 in the morning.
    After a couple weeks I was getting done around 5pm. Production people were getting ready to name their first-born after me.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah. I read about it this morning and couldn't resist. Who steals a man's boxer shorts?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ZING!

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Probably people w/o jobs. But that's just my take.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Were they nice boxers?

Draft saved Draft deleted