1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First day at new job stories...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Sep 2, 2008.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

my first day of my first job as an SE at a small weekly, someone calls in the morning and tells me they've caught a big fish and wonders if I'll come take a picture. Then when I start asking questions about it, they hang up laughing ... probably someone I knew or maybe the former SE...

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i wish i had a great 1st day story to add because this thread could use it.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We could be working at the same place.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

First week of my first newspaper job at a weekly in northwest Iowa in 1991 ...
    We were using Apples and somehow I found a way to totally destroy my computer with my mere presence.
    The computer repairman later told me I somehow divided the computer's internal system (he likened it to a split personality) and the two halves fought back and forth until the whole thing imploded. Neither one of us could figure out how it happened though, which was especially troubling since his job is to know how such things happen.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, Colbert. It wasn't my fault. The cleaning lady practically threw herself at me.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A paper I worked for in the 1980s hired a guy, and on his first night of work he ate in the paper's cafeteria and got food poisoning from whatever it was he bought there -- chili, IIRC. He had to ralph and then go home.

7. Wendy's, 1985. I was 16.

Manager hands me a push broom, a mop and six industrial-sized bottles of bleach. He takes me out back to the grease pit. It's four brick walls, no roof and 100 square feet of congealed grease six inches thick on the concrete floor, broiling in the South Florida sun. There are unspeakable things, dead things, in it.

Four hours later, I ooze back into the restaurant. Manager, stunned I didn't tell him to go to hell, gives me a thirty-cent raise.

I couldn't have found better training for a career in newspapers.

8. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Awesome.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

See? This is why you stay away from Macs...

10. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Computer repairman, what's that?

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Amazing. Awful, but amazing.

I was 15 or 16 years old, can't remember and I just started working at a small restaurant nearby as a dishwasher. It was around 10 p.m. when I left the kitchen to go wait outside for my parents to pick me up when I went through the bar to see my boss conversing with someone sharing a beer. My boss puts his arm around my shoulder and asks how the day went and tells the woman behind the bar to give me an extra $50 for the day for my good work.

The gentleman next to my boss turns to me and shakes my hand and says: "If you ever want to sell a hot dog, come to me." I didn't know what the guy meant or who he was, but I told my parents about my day and then what the guy told me and my dad was worried that they guy had sexually harassed me and was making a sexual innuendo.

I saw the guy about a week later, I guess he used to own some restaurant or something a few years back.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And thus, the Baconator was born.

Draft saved Draft deleted