1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First day at new job stories...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Sep 2, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Had my first day at a new job today. Pretty uneventful.

My computer is right across from some higher-ups so I cannot check sportsjournalists all day. That makes me a bit sad. There are also no attractive women at the newspaper. Also sad. One dude has an awesome Irish accent though, which makes up for the first two things.

Anyway, I hope you guys have some better first day stories than me.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

When I first moved to Minnesota, my brother and I had a temp job where I was supposed to build boxes.
    When I showed up they didn't know what to do with us. So we waited in the break room for an hour.
    After an hour, we said fuck this and left. When the temp agency called me to find out why I left, I explained and she was incredulous.
    Never went back to the agency.

3. bob

bob Member

In the middle of a violent March rainstorm my '63 Impala wouldn't start. I was two hours late.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

First day at my first real full-time job, a radio gig, I broke the ancient microphone amp rig they'd been using in the newsroom ... nobody was really upset either. I think they all had wanted to break it at one time or anotther.

We got a shiny new one not long after that.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not a first-day story, but close enough. When I interviewed at my last job, I had on the snazzy suit, shined shoes, whole nine yards. Totally overdressed for the office, but that was the point, really. Had at least two people say, "Yeah, you don't have to dress like that when you start," which was nice because it made me confident I'd get the job.

Moved across the country and, the weekend before I was to begin, I showed up at the office to pick up some paperwork. Just dropped by right before closing time, and had on some shorts and sandals because I had been unpacking and it was 105 degrees that day. Jaws dropped -- my ASE later said, "I thought we had hired the wrong guy!" -- because my attire was so different. Nothing wrong with it; it was just such a sharp contrast with the only other time they had seen me.

Every time after that we had someone come in for an interview, someone would say something about me in my suit. I got a kick out of that.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

this thread is useless without pics.

Buck, I don't believe you own a suit, let alone wore one.

No good first day stories of my own, but one sports intern's first day this summer came on the same day as the paper's company announcing company-wide layoffs/buyouts and the local MLB team firing its GM. I think he went to that morning's meeting and then covered the firing with the beat guys that afternoon/evening.

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Not the first day, but it was the first week -- Very first job out of college; I move almost 800 miles from home; and my SE gets fired on my fourth day of work.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

First two days of work at my first full-time gig ... rain, rain and more rain.

ME is restless. SE knows I can do the job, but has to justify my existence. I get sent to cover a couple of golf courses and see if the heavy rains have fouled up anything.

One course, where the nearby Division I school plays its home matches, was quite nice, warm, friendly. Other snobby place - and what they have to snobby over is a mystery to this day - couldn't have been more evasive.

Welcome to the area.

10. I have a similar experience.
    Wore a suit, three piece, complete with suspenders and hat - would have made Grantland Rice proud! - to my interview. Haven't worn a tie to work since.

11. Outing alert: slappy is Ryan Howard.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Better than being Ryne Duren, I suppose

Draft saved Draft deleted