1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First date, post-divorce.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Nov 16, 2017.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

There is, unfortunately, a lot of calculus that goes into it. I know married couples who sleep in separate bedrooms, and have just kind of agreed to be married in name only, for financial reasons. (I've wondered whether "staying together for the kids" is sometimes code for "staying together so we don't have to live in smaller houses.") It was a big financial hit for me, but it was worth it in the end. I didn't want to be miserable for the rest of my life, so how much is happiness worth?

When I was going through the decision-making process, a divorced friend told me that it would take me two years to get back on track, emotionally and financially, and I had to decide whether I had those two years in me. I decided that I did, and he was bang on almost to the day. My ex and I broke up two years ago this week. My girlfriend moved in a few weeks ago, I take possession of my new house at the end of the month, my ex and I are civil enough that we did our last child-support calculations without lawyers, and, most important, we're both good parents to our kids, who seem to have weathered a pretty horrible thing as well as they might have.

I'm sure the opposite happens, too, but I sure haven't heard many stories about people who regret getting divorced. (Anyone here?) One thing I learned during the process: You have to want to get divorced. There are so many reasons not to. So if you've reached that step, it was probably time.

exmediahack and FileNotFound like this.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks much, seriously. The dog is here, too, which helps a lot.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. Smallpotatoes used to be a teller?

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

A friend of mine, a nationally renowned writer,
    posted this a while back. It's always good ...

This is one of my favorite poems, by the great Caribbean writer
    Derek Walcott. I first heard it from a 96-year-old woman.

LOVE AFTER LOVE

The time will come when, with elation,
    you will greet yourself arriving at your own door,
    in your own mirror, and each will smile at the other’s welcome,
    and say, "Sit here. Eat."

You will love again the stranger who was your self.
    Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart to itself,
    to the stranger who has loved you all your life,
    whom you ignored for another, who knows you by heart.

Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,
    the photographs, the desperate notes.
    Peel your own image from the mirror.

Sit. Feast on your life.

HC likes this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I worked for a bank once. Those dolts who piled up rolled coins in the tube were by far the biggest morons in the drive-thru lanes.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Way back in the day I worked mall retail. We'd screw with each other all the time. A favorite was to wait till closing time and your co-worker was counting the money in the cash drawer. We'd get a look at which coin slot had the most coins (ideally dimes, because if that slot was full there were a *lot* of coins) and let them get about 3/4 of the way through counting then say loudly "5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 20, 10, what's your phone number? 27, 34, A, B, C..." and try to make them lose count so they had to start over.

Good times.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The financial implications can't be overlooked, either.

I turned out in better position, if only because it turned out ex-wife was spending SO much money on her alcohol and tobacco. About the equivalent of $700 a month before taxes. That's two car payments. I wondered, in the last two years of our marriage, how it seemed we never had any money.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear Vin Scully narrate this while Carlos Beltran bats against Clayton Kershaw.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I saved enough on health insurance each month that I was able to buy a life insurance policy. Figured that was a better investment than buying myself better clothes.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My divorces cost $200 each. Plus two unpaid utility bills. That’s it.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It isn't a huge amount because we don't have a huge amount - but I had to pay off some obligations and she had to pay off some obligations and we had to take out insurance policies to cover it in case we croaked before it got paid. Damn, that stuff is expensive as you get older.

By the way, the answer to my question above: Divorce is so expensive because it is worth it.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I also had to - Gasp! - refinance the house!

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted