1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Cars Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1988 Nissan Sentra. I paid $4K for it in October of 1989 when I turned 16. It was the car they used at the dealership to drive disabled and elderly customers from the oil change area at the dealership to the showroom. It had 379 miles on it.

When I sold it in 1993, I got $3,500.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

1969 Volvo 1800S, bought it used in '71. And yes, the same car Roger Moore drove in "The Saint" TV series. Sexiest car I've ever owned.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That is one helluva first car, sir.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Went like a bat out of hell. Swedish built and no emission controls to slow it down.

I can't imagine what a refurbished one would sell for now.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well over 250,000 miles.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My sister's first car was one of those. It was purple, and she bought it for $75. I remember one time she filled the gas tank and the thing was so heavy it wouldn't go more than 35 mph.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Our second car, which still runs thanks to various repairs over the years (and a second engine) is a 1988 Nissan Sentra. It only gets used when we need two cars so that we can extend its life as long as possible. It has 227,461 miles on it, the AC doesn't work, the radio doesn't work, but it runs. We don't want to make the repairs because we're not sure how much longer it's going to last.

We only buy a car when the old car doesn't run. We bought our newest car (in 1997) only when the previous car just stopped running. We see what we're missing in terms of "bells and whistles" when we have to rent a car, but we know what we aren't missing: We haven't had to make a car payment for years.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1971 Carolina blue Vega Kammback, named Bess, complete with some Western New York body cancer that had been repaired (sort of) by fiberglass. It was a piece of junk for about $900 but it got me where I needed to go, got decent gas mileage, my friends borrowed it all the time, it made the 10-hour trip between home and school at least four times, and it took me half way across the country to my first job before giving up the ghost on a -30 degree morning.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I bought a 1989 Ford Mustang LX (with the 3.8L V-6) in 1997 for $1000. It was similar to the above picture, only it was black with a red interior. It had 47,000 miles on it. It was the first of three Mustangs I've owned.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

1984 Volkswagen Jetta. Seventy-four horsepower never felt so strong. Though swapping in a GTI engine made things much, much stronger.

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Some nasty ass 1970s Chevy van handed down to me from a cousin. If it was a 1983 GMC bad-ass A-Team van, I'd have loved that. But this was a nasty ass thing. Had one of those silly bubble windows near the back and a friggin' a strobe light. I only drove it for about six months before the engine blew. Got a Pontiac Sunfire for $300 after that.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My first car was a 1986 Ford Mustang that my parents bought in 1990 for $4,600. Thing is, I remember being a little disappointed that I didn't get to drive it out of the dealership's parking lot. My parents picked it up and parked it in my driveway so it was there when I got home from work that night. I know their hearts were in the right place, though.

Car lasted me 9 years, went to 160,000 miles. It still ran great, but the body got ridiculously rusted, and wouldn't pass inspection any more.

Draft saved Draft deleted