1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Cars Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Jun 18, 2008.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

1986 Ford Taurus.

It was beige, but rusting, so we sanded it and Rust-O-Leumed the living hell out of it. We went three-tone with it: beige, brown and tan.

I called it the Tantaurus.

Remarkably good mileage and trusty for its age. It had only 50K miles on it when I bought it, but that was in 2005. Sold it to a high school kid last Labor Day weekend.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

1953 Pontiac Chieftain. $300 in 1993, in major fixer-upper condition. Original engine, flathead eight, etc. Got it going, painted it, and it lasted me for more than a decade until I had long become sick of wasting my weekends under its hood instead of working (or playing, to be fair).

Bought a new car three years ago, leaping forward 50 years in car evolution. But there are days . . . when I feel relieved to not have to say a prayer every time I turn the key.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

1991 mustang lx (hence the handle). Candy Apple Red. Five Star Pony rims. It was a four banger but I felt sweet. Got it for $3,500. My bro had it for two years then went to college and I had it for three years before the transmission blew. Now I drive a Ford Focus. So sad.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

My first car was a DODGE STRATUS! That's right, I DROVE A DODGE STRATUS!

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

To answer your questions, tbf:

Did the cloth ceiling cover sag?

- Oddly enough, yes. I held it in place with thumbtacks and electrical tape. Uh, did I buy your car? Or is this a mid-1980s Cavalier thing?

Did you have a hole in your muffler?

- No, but what felt like my whole exhaust system fell off the car. Hence the clothes hangers.

What about the standard tranny?

- Sorry. Automatic here. I bought it for $300 and am still a little shocked -- nine years later -- that the POS lasted an entire summer.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm not kidding. 1976 AMC Pacer.

[​IMG]

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My stepdad sold it about three months ago. If nothing else in the yard would start, the Cavalier would. It was, and remains, the most valuable and reliable car the extended three_bags family has owned. My stepdad drove it to work until it had 150,000 miles on it, then I took it over for the 16-19 years, and so did my younger brother -- 10 years later.

I actually teared up when he told me he sold it.

Hell, I got to third base in the back seat of that thing, listening to AC/DC, with the hottest chick in school.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The window sticker gives it a certain something, doesn't it?

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's a kick-ass ride. I'm jealous.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

When those came out I thought it was the coolest thing it the world. A terrarium on wheels.

Of course, I was 9.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Wow. How many miles did the car have when your stepdad finally sold it?

And, oh yeah, congrats on your conquest. I've never associated AC/DC with third base ... maybe I'll try that someday.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

A 1973 Volkswagen Bug in 1977. A good car for a poor student with the terrific gas mileage.

Draft saved Draft deleted