1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Book Deal on Va Tech Shootings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by swenk, Apr 30, 2007.

1. swenk

swenk Member

VT journalism teacher and sportswriter Roland Lazenby writing a book with the help of his students, portion of proceeds to victims' fund, to be published this summer. Too soon? Too commercial? Just right? Do people want to own a book about this?

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6437838.html?nid=2286

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

As long as no one gets rich off this book, I have no problems with it. Let's just hope the proceeds go to the families of the deceased and maybe more research into depression, bi-polar dissorder and other mental illnesses that Cho may have had.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I think if anyone is doing the book, it's probably good that it's from within Virginia Tech itself and that the proceeds go back to the school/victims in some way.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Ditto.

I had this conversation with someone last week ... wondering how long it'd take before there was a made-for-TV movie or how long it'd take before some news organization (TV, paper, mag) would jump on the book bandwagon.

Months after 9/11, several compilation magazines published showing what other papers did for coverage. I'd like to see that at some point, maybe all of the Times-Dispatch covers put together in a glossy format (as an example).

5. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

I don't understand this line of thinking that no one should profit off of writing about bad things. I mean, this happens to be what a lot of us are good at, it serves an important function in society and everyone has to make a living somehow. Should doctors refuse to get paid because they're "capitalizing off of human suffering," as well?

Sometimes it reaches the level of self-flagellation.

Draft saved Draft deleted