1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First BCS rankings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ledbetter, Oct 15, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So I was looking at the computer rankings. Tennessee is ahead of Cal in all but one. But Cal has the better average. UT is also ranked ahead of Cal, and also beat them early, but the Bears are still ahead.
    So here's the question: How?
    I must be missing something

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It's not what you're missing. Or we're missing. The system is missing something. These things usually work themselves out, but Cal would stay ahead of UT if both won out (win over SC), and the SEC (nor anyone with a brain) would probably not be happy about that. Unbelievable. That game wasn't nearly as close as the score suggested.

I hate that we'll never get to see this thing settled on the field in a playoff. The I-AA playoffs are great ... can you imagine the national excitement every year for a I-A one???

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is what I don't understand. They'd need freight trains to haul away the money from a I-A playoff, way more than the big bowls offer. The little and medium bowls could just keep on keepin' on.
    If the final was the Saturday night of Super Bowl bye week, it'd get better ratings than the Super Bowl 7 years out of 10.

4. What no Holy Cross? This is a travshamockery!!

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In addition, it would force teams to beef up schedules to qualify for an 8- or 16-team playoff, rather than water down schedules to avoid a loss as many do now.

(I guess you could still schedule six stiffs and pat yourself on the back by become bowl-eligible, though).

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Actually I heard a college coach, a national championship winning coach, speak on this today.
    He said the only way a playoff could happen is if the TV people forced the NCAA's hand. Pulled all broadcast money for the post-season and said, no more until the playoffs are put in.
    But, like he said, that will never happen. If one network was to walk away, another one would take its place, and so on.
    But what I hope happens, is the SEC pulls out of the BCS.
    Why bother?
    I mean if USC stays unbeaten, they'll play Ohio State or Michigan for the title. BCS people will say the system worked, the two best teams are in the championship, but it is really the two best unbeaten teams. You have to exclude the possibility of a one-loss team playing for a title now.
    Even if Auburn or Florida had been unbeaten, neither would have had a shot at the No. 2 spot. And Cal, a team that is, at best, the fifth or sixth best team in the SEC, is No. 6 in the computer polls and No. 10 overall. Ahead of an SEC team that whipped Cal's butt.
    The BCS was Kramer's baby, but he's gone and it's time for the SEC to back out.
    Slive (Silve?) should call NBC and say for $15 million a team, the SEC title game winner will play Notre Dame in the one of the Southern bowl games, most likely Sugar.
    And if the Fighting Irish don't have at least nine wins that year, tell the Big East (or ACC for that matter) that its conference champ has the same deal.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I think the BCS is a flawed system and until there's a playoff, there's no way we can really decide a national champion. But we're not going to get a playoff until the Big Six confereneces break away from the NCAA. Not sure that happens anytime soon.

So in the meantime, we have to live with the system that we have and tweak it as necessary. As it stands now, I'd have no problem with a Michigan/Ohio State-Southern Cal title game if it involves two undefeated teams. If that's the case, Michiagn would have knocked off Notre Dame and Ohio State or Ohio State would have dismissed Texas, Iowa and Michigan, USC would have dispatched of Notre Dame, Oregon and Cal. Those are enough quality wins to justify their placement in a title game.

Where I would have a problem is if a one-loss SEC team, Texas or Notre Dame supplanted an undefeated Big East school for a title shot. A 12-0 Big East school would have beaten two schools in the top 16 of the BCS (Rutgers is No. 16) and Pitt, which will be ranked as early as this weekend. Those would be quality wins.

8. The idea of an Ohio State-Michigan rematch seems like a too-good-to-be-true situation. Just think about how mad other teams would be, though. Teams waiting to move up when one loses would be ticked off like no other.

By the way, don't fire Jim Tressel!

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I will be shocked, shocked I say, if a Michigan-Ohio State rematch happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted