1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Baptist Dallas pastor responds to Dallas Morning News column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Sep 12, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://www.firstdallas.org/article/our-pastor-responds-to-dallas-morning-news-columnist/

Both journalism and religion, not political. He challenges the opinions and facts presented...fwiw.

Backs up his facts on Islam too.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You must be fucking kidding. This guy is like William Fucking Westmoreland in putting an emphasis on body count:

http://www.youtube.com/firstbaptistdallas#p/u/0/wfb9p3qSRqA

He notes that there is never a mandate in the New Testament for violence. He conveniently leaves out the Old Testament, which in my lifetime as a Christian has been read just about every service. He also makes all sorts of unfounded comments on Muslim and pedophilia, as if no Christians had ever participated in the activity. I think can of one prominent group of clergy that's had a bit of problem with that.

It might help, too, to post the original column:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/localnews/columnists/sblow/stories/DN-blow_05met.ART0.Central.Edition1.357492d.html

There's a lot you could take the Muslim religion to task over, just like you could with any faith. For one thing, it's a faith that, to sound more like Richard Dawkins, you're putting your hopes in some fantasy old man in the sky, or, in the problem that causes wars, takes itself so seriously that you'd better believe or we're going to make sure you meet our maker. And playing this game that Islam is worse than Christianity based on body count or kids molested, or whatever, is a fool's game. Every religion has something to answer for, something horrible that was done in its named and endorsed by prominent leaders within that faith. It's like arguing who's more racist.

This preacher is no more using "facts" than an imam who lectures his followers to hate. This preacher's fellow Baptists are hardly unanimous behind him: http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/5679/53/

But, hey, if this preacher wants to say it, well, we can't stop him. And I'm not sure that it's right to say he's going to get our troops killed. However, to me the important thing is that religious and political leaders make it clear that the First Baptist preacher and the guy from American Chopper who wants to burn the Koran are on the fringe, and that they are not reflective of Christianity. Well, at least they're not reflective of mine.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

In context that sword seems to be more of a symbol of division than of violence. Jesus is telling his disciples that because of him, their family and friends may turn against them. Accepting him won't bring harmony into their lives, but it will be a force of division, severing them from the ties that used to bind them -- family, friends, fellow Jews.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's not a real quote.

It wasn't printed in red. :D

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Well played, Football.

The remarks from a local pastor here is a complete 180 from Jeffress: http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/09/13/nothing-to-fear-from-devout-muslims-west-des-moines-pastor-says/

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry, I am not prone to watching a video of some guy talking and especially not one where I see in the upper right that Cal Thomas is endorsing the dude.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The quote from Jesus was on background and not for attribution

11. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Yeah, from what I understand, Jesus very rarely speaks on the record.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Absolutely there has been a problem with the Catholic church with pedophilia and it is extremely disgraceful and brings shame to the Chrisitian community as a whole. However, I don't recall the priests pointing to any scripture and warping it to fit their depraved desires -- as factions (certainly NOT the mainstream in the west) of Islam have taken to, as Jeffress points out, in third world countries. No it doesn't help that the Catholic church does their best to just sweep it under the rug and hide the problem, and to me that makes the officals covering it up as guilty as the ones committing the atrocities. Those invovled in the scandal will one day answer for their sins, and it won't be plesant.

And no I am not trying to defend everything Jeffress said, it is more the Catholic priest comment that got me going, especially as a protestant to have that thrown out there as representative of the faith.

As far as saying "well what about the Old testament . . ." Yes the Old testament is part of where Christians have come from, but it is not where we end. As Christians the faith is about following the teachings and principles of Jesus Christ, in that case you're looking new testament, brother, as the main text and root of the faith.

Draft saved Draft deleted