1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First baby of the year stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The JV babies deserve coverage too.

2. The inevitable:
    YOU only cover us when we are birthin' babies on New Years!

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was supposed to be a New Year's baby.

My mother was determined that I wouldn't be, because she was not yet married to my father and she wasn't particularly interested in the publicity that went along with having the New Year's baby.

Everything worked out. I hung on almost three weeks following New Year's, my mom's divorce from her first husband became final at the end of February, and she married my dad on the first Saturday in April. The first wedding I ever attended. :)

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

jv baby parents, they're the worst.

5. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

No, I'm agreeing with you that they're pointless -- and suggesting that any newspapers that swear by them forfeit their right to complain about the modern media consumer's total lack of interest in the product they're producing.

6. Sort of an FYI:
    We have had New Year's parents decline stories. They declined (in one case it was an underage, single mom) to allow the hospital to release their information and hospitals must comply.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Call Janet Cooke.

I remember one year we had an investigative reporter -- just coming off a Pulitzer -- who the editor decided was taking too long to finish his latest project. The editor wanted to submit it for contest entries for the year that was winding up; reporter insisted he couldn't finish it by then. Huge fight ensues, story is eventually pushed back.

Who got stuck with the first-baby story that year? Mr. Pulitzer.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, here's the other end of the spectrum on a first baby story, I guess:

http://onlineathens.com/stories/010410/bre_542720942.shtml

The uncle of a first baby died in a car crash New Years Eve after leaving the hospital where his sister was preparing to give birth.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We didn't have to worry about staffing on New Year's day and saved a lot of time running and calling around by having mothers live-tweet their births on our Web site's comment section.

It was pretty easy to go around to the hospital on Monday to verify the birth time and award the prizes.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Beautiful, live-tweeting of first babies. Can Youtube videos of the blessed event be far behind?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And I've got my first "Why don't you only print a photo of the first baby born to married, white parents" internet comment of the New Year.

Peace on Earth, Goodwill Toward Men.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Wally Lamb wrote a fantastic book. I Know This Much Is True, based on twin brothers born in this scenario.

Draft saved Draft deleted