1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First American MMA death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 2, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. He didn't die in the ring.

"Vazquez, a few weeks after his knockout, suffered a major stroke which he was unable to recover from."

If the idiots (boxers/MMA) want to risk their lives, let them do it. I'm not paying pay-per-view $$$ to watch it.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How many more deaths before they also catch up with auto racing, baseball, football, and hockey?

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If you think this is the first MMA-related death in America you're wrong.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If you're talking about the rash of deaths in the 1990s, that wasn't MMA. Those were unsanctioned tough man and tough woman fights, usually held in bars, without any sort of medical staff or competent referees.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

How many hockey players have died on the ice? Or died due to injuries sustained on the ice?

7. TheSportsPredictor

Don't know about players; I know one young girl watching a Blue Jackets game was hit and killed by a puck flying into the stands.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

But that has nothing to do with what happened to the MMA fighter. He died due to injuries sustained in a fight, not because of a fluke accident. And it should be noted that the NHL reacted, installing netting over the glass to slow down pucks flying into the stands.

9. TheSportsPredictor

Oh, and a quick Google search reveals that Minnesota North Star center Bill Masterson struck his head on the ice during a game and died 48 hours later, prompting many players to start wearing helmets. The Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy is now awarded to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.

10. TheSportsPredictor

Sorry that it doesn't fit your predetermined argument. It still happened.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

And I think that's the only on-ice death in the NHL. I believe there was a player in an Italian league who passed away several years ago due to a hard check into the boards.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm not arguing that it didn't happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted