1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Amendment Be Damned: North Carolina Legislators Pushing For State Religion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Yeah and it's also noble to stand up for the cause.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Seriously?

That's a shocking, embarrassing display of ignorance from a presumably educated adult.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

ACLU defends right of 5th grader to invite her classmates to Christmas party at Christian church:
    http://www.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/121728p.pdf

ACLU supports Christian church in challenging Louisiana law prohibiting preaching on Bourbon Street
    http://theadvocate.com/home/3963587-125/judge-halts-restriction-on-bourbon

ALCU sues city of Roswell, N.M. for arresting two Christian street preachers
    http://www.aclu-nm.org/aclu-sues-roswell-for-violating-christian-preachers%E2%80%99-right-to-free-speech/2012/04/#.T4wzkIVURLM.email

ACLU defends students against school policy banning visible rosaries and crosses
    http://www.aclutx.org/2011/11/18/aclu-of-texas-demands-brownsville-isd-disclose-policies-banning-rosaries-and-crosses-at-school/

Those are just recent examples. There are dozens more.

The "I'm a poor Christian, everyone is out to get me, especially the mean ACLU" act is absurd.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm not sure a state-sponsored religion is such a great idea. I can't find a single nation in the world where that seems to be working all that well. The problem is that those in power tend to abuse that power over anyone who disagrees with them.

When it comes to civil issues such as abortion, same-sex marriage, gun control, etc., those issues are fair game for debate in the public arena. But even as a person of faith, I am perfectly satisfied to live in a society that guarantees freedom of religion for all but doesn't endorse any religion.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It works relatively well in England. And by relatively well, I mean the church has relatively little negative effect on the lives of anyone who doesn't want to be affected. It probably has power beyond what it deserves (i.e., any) given the general church attendance numbers (i.e., low and falling).

Opposition to gay marriage was assholish, but they ended up with a carveout that means that CoE churches cannot perform gay marriages (even if they want to). But it's safe to say the state religion in England has less of an effect on the machinations of government than the ostensibly non-state religion in the U.S.

6. dog eat dog world

No, it WAS biblical. Quit trying to walk over from the constitutionally-based argument and try to spin the Bible the way you want it.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you're in favor of Biblical marriage, then you're in favor of polygamy right?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

dog is too much man for any one woman to handle, so he would have to be in favor of polygamy.

9. dog eat dog world

The New Testament changed that....but I wasn't against that in the so called constitutional position on marital freedom. You guys revolted when it wasn't a complete and exclusive sell out to gay marriage.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Christians should be opposed to state religions. It does them no favors, such a designation.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Always back to Teh GaY.

The topic really seems to dominate your mind. Personally I rarely even think about it.

12. dog eat dog world

Reading is fundamental, but try using it to figure out who commented on "Teh GAY" first here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.