1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Amendment Be Damned: North Carolina Legislators Pushing For State Religion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/03/17584491-first-amendment-doesnt-apply-here-nc-lawmakers-push-bill-for-state-religion?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=6

Saw this and thought, "Sure....We should have seen this coming in the wake of secessionists and Second Amendment nashing of teeth, etc."

This will not end well, as we say around here at SportsJournalists.com. OK....Have At.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I so look forward to seeing the teeth-gnashing when the proposal comes up that make Islam or Judiasm the state religionof North Carolina.

And why am I not shocked that Republicans are sponsoring this?

3. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

the legal criticism in the article is interesting considering i'd wager the sponsors of the bill consider themselves more american than most

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If NC actually does this, you can bet other states will follow. Utah has pretty much a de facto state religion now.

Hello, Confederate States of America.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The First Amendment's Establishment Clause was written, actually, to allow states to establish state religions and keep the federal government from usurping that right. True fact.

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Mark2010, your point is well taken. I am sure Utah's Mormons were salavating when they saw this. I personally think this is a terrible idea (Founding Fathers logic be damned, I guess, as far as NC legislators are concerned).

7. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Liberalism is the state "religion" of New York, California, and Illinois, to name a few.
    Shouldn't this be locked and tossed into the POLITICS thread, or is it just open because it's a left-wing shot at religion in general?

8. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

The amendment prevented the nation from establishing a religion.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It is? Then why is my religion not tax-exempt?

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's in the politics thread, too.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's correct.

But that's not what it means now.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Isn't this essentially the same whackjobbery behind that whole Sovereign Nation movement that believes it can reject the idea of federal taxes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.