1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First 5 minutes of Alien vs. Predator 2 online

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Dec 12, 2007.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

The first five minutes of Alien vs. Predator: Requim are online:

http://www.movieweb.com/news/31/25031.php

Pretty dizzying start. Score is overpowering, too.

Pretty sure it ain't based on a Jane Austen novel.

EDIT: Beach volleyball fans were disappointed to discover this wasn't about volleyball, so I changed the thread title.

2. Sandman

Sandman Member

Re: First Five minutes of AVP 2

Very disappointed this thread is not about beach volleyball.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: First Five minutes of AVP 2

Me too.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Looks good. Still not sure I'm going to drop $10 to see it in the theater though.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'll be there Christmas day.

That said, I have a couple problems with the AVP series, especially now that it had a fairly successful debut (grossed $80 mill on a budget of $45 mil).

The first one is that I'd really prefer to see it take place in the future, in space with the space marines involved. I think being in space (where "no one can hear you scream") is part of what made the Alien series so successful. That's also how the AVP series was originally conceived in the comic books.

Secondly, after establishing in the first two Predator flicks that they always show up when it's excessively hot, what's the deal with setting the two AVP movies in Antarctica and Colorado? The Antarctica one they explained via the "heat burst" that was part of the whole ritualistic hunt. Now, for some reason they went to Colorado. Makes no sense.

I'll still fork over the cash to see it, though. I'm a sucker for both series. Can't pass it up when they're together.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I still say, and I've mentioned this on the board before, that they should have made a tournament out of this series.

Alien vs. Predator

Freddy vs. Jason

Michael Myers vs. The Leprechaun

And so on. The winner advances to the next film.

7. bigpern23

Predator beats 'em all. Best combination of intelligence, strength and lethality.

I would guess it would be Predator vs. Freddy in the finals (Freddy can do some freaky shit in dreams).

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The clip explains it how they end up in Colorado. The Predators do not choose the location.

9. bigpern23

True, but you always got the impression that they're biologically geared toward a warmer climate. Why not just set it in a warmer place to keep it in line with what they've established? I can't imagine a reason it needs to be set in Colorado.

It's a nitpicky thing, obviously, but it bugs me when filmmakers go away from something they've established in earlier films for no apparent reason when it would be just as easy to include it (having Qui Gon Jin as Obi Wan Kenobi's mentor instead of Yoda in Episode I is an example that immediately jumps to mind).

Draft saved Draft deleted