1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Firing squad? Really?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is going to sound insane, but it probably would be more humane if someone shot him point blank. Obviously, I know you can't do that because it might be hard to find a cop willing to do it.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Did he get one last cigarette?

Oh wait, it was Utah.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And there's a factual inaccuracy in the first graf. Nice.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He chose it, then fought (or his lawyers fought) like crazy against it. Slick. Though unsuccessful.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The weapons used were rifles, which shoot bullets, and not shotguns.

Four bullets placed in a small heart-sized area will leave small entry wounds. The exit wound, depending on the design of the bullet, could be larger due to expansion of the bullet inside the chest cavity. But the expansion is what rips apart the heart and the concussion inside the chest cavity also damages or destroys other organs.

I would rather be shot by four bullets fired by experienced marksmen than strapped to a gurney with chemicals coursing through my veins that will take longer to make me die.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

With injection, I believe, the first one puts you to sleep, the second injection is a paralyzing agent and the third stops the heart. So after the first injection, I guess, you're done from a pain standpoint.

7. highlander

highlander Member

They all volunteer for the job. So I doubt there is any guilt.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He asked for coffee and they wouldn't let him have that either.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just seems kind of odd that the state decides to put you to death, but hey, we will let you choose the method, because we don't want to be assholes. When the hell did executions become Burger King?

10. CR19

CR19 Member

That's how the procedure is supposed to work. However, here's an article that questions whether lethal injection is any more humane than electrocution or the gas chamber.Here's the article:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7269-execution-by-injection-far-from-painless.html

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Weren't they forced to do that after losing a court case?

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

People can question whether the death penalty is ever appropriate (i.e., the Innocence Project), but while it is legal and when there is no doubt (as in this case), I don't give a damn how "humane" it is. He deserved the punishment. He didn't deserve mercy.

Draft saved Draft deleted