1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Firing squad? Really?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jun 18, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37759499/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

I thought that only existed in those Faces of Death movies? Good choice, Ronnie Lee Gardner. Jesus.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Utah got rid of that for persons convicted after 2004.

Even so, it was always the condemned person's choice of the method of execution.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'd almost prefer it, were I facing the choice. Sure, it's a little messier, but if you're getting hit square in the chest with four high-caliber bullets, you're gonna go pretty quickly. Beats the hell out of hearing the syringe plunge down with the anesthetic as you sweat on the table.

I did see a prison official quoted as saying that a previous guy who took the firing squad (not this guy) said he did so because he wanted someone to have to clean up the mess.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but a firing squad death would be horrifying. I'd rather be laid out on a table getting a couple IVs than being strapped to a chair with five shotguns pointed at you. Are they gonna shoot NOW? What about NOW? No? How bout NOW? Christ. That'd be terrible.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I think knowing your death is being hastened, regardless of method, to me would be horrifying. I could see one believing that there is more dignity in being shot standing up than being strapped to a gurney and put down like a dog. Well, at least how we used to put dogs down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. CR19

CR19 Member

I hate needles to begin with. I'd rather be shot than injected with poison in a tiny room where you may need multiple syringes. In the end, however, I'm just glad I'll never have to choose whether to be shot to death or pumped with deadly chemicals.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If you've done something to warrant your execution, it shouldn't be a soft experience of going to sleep.

But like CR19, I don't plan on having to worry about it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My only argument against it is because of the guilt that could be carried around by the guys who have to fire the rifles. I know they only load four of the five rifles with live ammo, but I'm guessing experienced Marksmen know when they fire a live round.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Also, I think the guy might be blindfolded and not staring down the barrels.

And I'd rather go this way than going to the gallows, which might be the worst one of all. That and stoning.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

First-person account of the execution by AP reporter.

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/54828a5e8d9d48b7ba8b94ba38a9ef22/Article_2010-06-18-US-Firing-Squad-Eyewitness/id-8a8d41138f5546dd966d0c5a90683a4f

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oh great, an I-story by the AP.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The way I see it, if you've been convicted of a crime heinous enough under our laws to merit capital punishment, why do you deserve to be put out of your misery?

Wouldn't a worse punishment be for those prisoners to be thrown in dark, solitary confinement (a la Tim Robbins in Shawshank Redemption) for the rest of their lives? Imagine that - spending 40 years or whatever in isolation, knowing you'd never see the light of day again.

As it was, this asshole waited 25 years in prison before being executed.

Draft saved Draft deleted