1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Firing a football coach after 2 games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Probably... I didn't see them beating Bama or LSU either, but this was going to be their best shot in awhile. I didn't get the hire either, but when you make coaching moves at that point, the pickings are really slim...

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's why I was surprised they didn't promote an assistant, since the Petrino firing was more because of off-field stuff and they would have maintained some continuity in the program.

Never considered them real national (or even conference) championship contenders. They would have to upset Alabama and/or LSU, possibly both, just to win their division.

As for fan reaction... c'mon, people, it's ONE game. Can happen to anyone (see Appalachian State over Michigan). Their star QB got knocked out and had some other injuries, too. The sky is not falling.

3. Grover

Grover New Member

The biggest problem with them promoting an assistant is that the one guy who everyone would have looked to, Garrick McGee, had just left for UAB.

Their chance at a national title was as good as it was ever going to get. They have Alabama and LSU at home with a top 10 ranking to start the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted