1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fireworks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

There's a bit of whining here over the fact July 4 fireworks will be on July 3.

Wondering which other cities, especially the larger ones, have their fireworks displays on July 3 this year instead of July 4

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Detroit/Windsor had theirs two weeks ago, as part of what used to be called Freedom Festival. Forget what they changed the name too now.

Anyway, it was a little early this year (first day of summer). Usually it's the last week of June. Fairly big production on the Detroit River so both Detroit and Windsor get to partake.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rockies had their shows on Friday and Saturday. Big show in downtown Denver tonight along with the Denver Symphony. Rapids put on a great show and that will be Sunday.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I wish there fireworks here tonight. I'll be driving back from the beach tomorrow night and will miss seeing any, unless I catch some while driving on I-95.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Ours will be Sunday. 1. It's the 4th. 2. They are always tied into our minor league team which is on the road Saturday but home Sunday.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The neighborhood kids are having their own shows tonight and presumably tomorrow.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The thing about the Boston area is that aside from the big show in Boston with the Pops concert, almost every suburban town has a show, too. They usually get spread out all through the holiday weekend. Lexington's show was Friday night, and so was Bedford's, the next town over. Some were last night, some will be tonight.
    Here's the weird one. Hanscom Air Force Base, which is basically an electronics research center for the Air Force, has a fireworks display each year and it's always the weekend BEFORE the 4th of July. Does anyone here with a military background know why that might be?

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Some towns here in Central Jersey have cancelled their fireworks displays as a way to save money.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Please. Make them stop playing Neil Diamond on municipal fireworks soundtrack. I know the song is about America. But stop. Please.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Knowing Central Jersey, I'm surprised they didn't do it because they were afraid it would inspire kids to shoot off their own fireworks, thus leading to an epidemic of children nicknamed "Lefty."

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My little town did its fireworks show on the 3rd. Lotta folks did their own homemade fireworks shows tonight. From the sounds of it, some of these shows also involved live ammunition.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great show, per usual, in the northern part of the state tonight, despite lots of rain for the second year in a row. But the crowd was huge as usual.

Draft saved Draft deleted