1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

firefox add ons

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by leo1, Nov 5, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i finally downloaded firefox. i'm never going back to explorer. it's already made things so much quicker and easier.

i'm wondering if anyone here has downloaded any of the free add ons? it looks like most of them are just gimmicks that might be cool but that i could do without.

does anyone swear by any of the add ons?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I use the IE tab add-on, and I swear by it.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Adblock extension is a must. Wipes out banner ads, Macromedia Flash ads, Google ads (sorry, Webby), Intellitext ad links (sorry, Webby) ... in fact, you can block pretty much anything that's not straight-out text (including obnoxious SportsJournalists.com sig images).

Add Bookmark Here makes the bookmarking function much more useful.

BugMeNot provides blind usernames and passwords from BugMeNot.com, saving you the trouble of registering for every WWW site there is just to view content.

Forecastfox puts Accuweather data (local conditions and forecasts) in your status bar.

IE Tab runs an instance of Internet Explorer inside a Firefox tab in case you need to access a site (like Windows Update) which doesn't work in Firefox.

PDF Download allows you to choose what you want to do with web PDFs.

Print/Print Preview gives Firefox a handy print preview function (duh).

Restart Firefox puts a Restart Firefox entry at the end of your File menu.

Tabbrowser gives you many more options for controlling tabs inside Firefox.

Sadly, one of my favorite extensions hasn't been updated for FF 2 yet. BBCode adds formatting menus to your context (right-click) menu, for use on WWW discussion boards like this one. I hate having to hand-code all my formatting.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What the hell is Firefox?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A web browser

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Best. Browser. Ever.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Yeah, it was definitely not sarcasm. Never heard of it.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

:eek:

Like iJag said ... best browser ever. Internet Explorer 7 was just trying to catch up to FF 1.5, and FF 2.0 pulls ahead again. Not nearly as many security problems as IE, and the ones that do exist get cleaned up faster because there are open-source programmers all over the world working to improve the product.

[​IMG]

http://www.getfirefox.com

Edit: And BBCode users should install BBCodeXtra. :)

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I have a couple of minor add-ons, like the dictionary.com, imdb.com and baseball-reference.com search windows.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Where'd you get those add-ons? I use all those religiously, and just keep 'em on my bookmarks.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

Click the logo for the search engine you last used in the search bar and when the menu pops up look for Manage Search Engines ... to add and subtract search engines. IMDB, CDDB, the Weather Channel and many other sites have search plugins for Firefox.

12. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

two extensions i recently added and LOVE are FoxyTunes, which lets you control your music program (itunes, for example, but it supports like seven different ones) from the bottom bar of the browser, so you don't have to minimize firefox to change songs, volume, etc., and StumbleUpon, which is good if you're bored. it lets you pick categories you're interested in, and then when you click the stumble button (in the top of the browser) it gives you a random page. lots of fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted