1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fired Joe Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 8, 2010.

1. alan1066

alan1066 New Member

Agreed that Joe cares about baseball, and he was one of the game's greatest 2nd Basemen, but that doesn't translate into being entitled to a high-profile announcer position. Being a Big Red Machine kid, it pains me to say that, but it's true. It may even be that he's driven people from baseball telecasts.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

DING!

Love newbies that get it. I'll have a Sam Summer Ale.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Speaking of folklore, like a fallen warrior getting off one final swing with his poison-tipped sword, Joe Morgan seems to have somehow made sure that Derek Jeter won a Gold Glove today. At least that's how I choose to view it and remember it, accuracy be damned.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And having so done, his work here finished, Joe Morgan is at last taken up. Chained to the mountainside for Eternity, whence his liver will be pecked at each day by Ford Frick, he has brought the knowledge of fire - and the two-out double steal - to humankind.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't there considerable talk for a significant period of time that Joe Morgan was a great manager in waiting? Or am I misremembering? Never did actually manage, did he?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No, you remember correctly. I recall him saying he was more interested in running his businesses at the time ... a few Wendy's in and around his hometown of Hayward, Calif. I don't even remember him being a coach, come to think of it.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Or they would have been held to standards for telling the truth? Might have spared us two tons of bullshit that Yogi Berra never said.

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Let's swap out one Red for another. Bring Pete Rose into the booth. Now that would be entertaining. A total train wreck and potentially incomprehensible. But entertaining.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rather not further-enable that clownshow, thanks.

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I won't pile on to the "Little Joe won't be missed chorus." Because he won't be.
    Frankly, I won't miss Miller, either.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"(T)he only way Joe Morgan can lose his job is if he got caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy. Short of that kind of thing, there is no level of stupidity that he could express on ESPN that would get him canned, because he's Joe Morgan."

-- Michael Lewis

http://www.sfweekly.com/2005-07-06/news/say-it-ain-t-so-joe/

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Morgan constantly placed Miller between a rock and a hard place, i. e. either appearing to either apparently approve of a particular statement or series of statements uttered by Morgan (many of which wouldn't make a lick
    of sense to a ninth-grader) or show Morgan up, which would create
    a sad measure of discord in the booth.

Morgan owes Miller reparations.

Draft saved Draft deleted