1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fired Joe Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dan Schulman is outstanding. Glad to see him get the gig.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

McCarver's "none" sounds like "nine." Confusing as hell. I think someone said this in his ear in the last game, because a few seconds after he said "none" in a way that sounded like "nine," he added: "It's never happened." If not for that, I'd still not know if the stat he referenced had happened nine times or none.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Morgan was so bad he was beginning to sully Miller's legacy. When I saw Miller would be honored at the HOF earlier this year :D, my wife, as stout a baseball fan as you will find, said "Oh no not that guy." I told her he wasn't the bad one, that he was the one worth listening to. She said something along the lines of she cannot watch ESPN broadcasts b/c of Morgan, that he drags the entire thing down.

I was reminded just how much Morgan drags things down while we were driving home from my Dad's during Game Six of the NLCS. We tuned into the Giants' broadcast on XM, and it was such a joy hearing Miller call the final out and anchor the post-game coverage. It was so simple and so elegant and a reminder of how great he really is. Thank goodness for him that he's finally freed of the albatross that is Joe Morgan.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, Phil Mushnick just lost half of his columns for next baseball season.

Still, a great day to not have to listen to that idiot Morgan anymore.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Outing alert: BYH is actually me, TigerVols.

Not only does he have a Titan in his sig, he had a convo with his wife that is verbatim one I have with mine any time we watch Sunday Night Baseball. She's dancing on Morgan's grave.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The only thing that is upsetting about Sutcliffe getting the job is he never has anything positive to say about the umpiring. Yes, I know there have been some issues and some legitimate criticisms, but Sutcliffe seems to take great pride in ripping every close pitch and every close play. Get over it, Rick. Your career on field is over and you don't have to rip the men in blue any longer.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My wife doesn't care about Joe Morgan.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This. He seemed proud in his ignorance of, well, anything that came after his own playing days were over. He was the embodiment of Howard Cosell's criticisms of ex-athletes on the air.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'll always fondly remember in "Ball Four" how he distinguished between a motherfucking curveball and a regular curveball.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Truly, the best analysis of his entire career.

All downhill after that.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's plenty to rip about general umpire attitude without even getting started about their
    individual professional quirks (i. e. Eric Gregg state-of-Montana strike zones, ad nauseum).

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Worse, all these years, Miller had to pretend Morgan was a professional broadcaster.

Draft saved Draft deleted