1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fired Joe Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 8, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But no one should see it as a triumph of their philosophy and get really happy about it. Really...getting happy about someone losing their job?

2. dooley_womack1

More to the point: His firing is not being celebrated based on his ability. It's being celebrated based on his philosophy. He could be as good as Hershiser, but would have still had people calling for his firing.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As much as I hate playing the two-wrongs-make-a-right game, there were also a lot of people who were very happy when Paul DePodesta and Jeremy Brown lost their jobs.

And anyway, he could not be as good as Hershiser with his philosophy. Him being good and him holding onto his "philosophy" are incompatible ideas. It's not just that Morgan wasn't a sabermetric true believer. It's that he says things that are provably, demonstrably wrong, over and over again.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yeah, I don't like publicly criticizing people, but Joe Morgan was a terrible analyst.

Every game was the same:

1. Making an extremely general point, then repeating the point four times in a row with slightly different wording before Miller could talk again.
    2. Going out of his way to ignore stats, which was either an ego thing or just a lack of work ethic.
    3. Telling 10 stories about the 1975 Reds
    4. Correcting himself for eight of his stories from last week's broadcasts after bloggers prove that his stories are wildly inaccurate.
    5. Taking time in the 8th inning to say hello to someone in his personal life, something that about 5 people out of the 5 million viewers actually give a shit about.

Joe Morgan has been mailing it in for 10 years. ESPN should've noticed it 8 years ago.

I like Rick Sutcliffe for the most part, though his extremely positive spin toward every player is a little irritating, and his "I talked to so and so before the game and he said..." needs to get cut down severely.

I think Orel Hershiser is the best color analyst at the network, with Aaron Boone climbing that ladder fast.

Sucks about Jon Miller, who I really like. But Dan Schulman is every bit as good.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He was turning into the Larry King of baseball announcers...didn't do any homework and didn't feel he needed to. I'm sure he's a very nice man who cares for the game, blah blah, but that's just arrogant for a life behind a microphone.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

The next time Gammons criticizes a member of the baseball establishment will be the first.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

People are dancing because Joe Morgan has sucked the life out of broadcasts for 20 years.

And he's an idiot.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Shulman, Hershiser and Bobby V would be outstanding. Even just Shulman and Hershiser would be outstanding. They were great last year.

Thank goodness ESPN didn't put Sutcliffe in the Sunday Night booth. He is actually worse than Morgan, by several factors of 10. Utterly unlistenable, though it was always fun to observe when he and Erin Andrews were working the same game to see who could act more unprofessionally.

9. dooley_womack1

Sez you, obviously a sabermetrician who has a certain view of the game. So everyone on the air has to look at the game with a calculator at his side?

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He gone!

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would feel the same way if there was a sabermetrician who was on every Sunday night talking about how you didn't need scouts or hitting coaches.

I'm not "obviously a sabermetrician." I'm someone who doesn't believe the choice is binary (same view I have regarding many political issues, as well).

Joe Morgan does. To such an extreme degree that he doesn't belong on the air any more.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It would be one thing if Morgan had a different opinion than some people.

But he was wrong on the facts too often -- even about his own career for gosh sake.

He was often contradicted by replay and not only wouldn't concede his error, he would continue to talk as if the replay either hadn't been shown or had proven him right.

I'm no sabermetrician. I don't care if Morgan is or isn't. The problem was that he was bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted