1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fired Joe Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 8, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The blog will need to be renamed. Thank God.

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/08/espn-breaks-up-sunday-night-baseball-team/?hpw

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No fucking way! I never thought I'd live to see the day.

I didn't mind Miller. I think he's got a good voice & was pretty good.

Do I now need to root for Valentine to get a managerial job so he doesn't end up on Sunday Night Baseball?

I guess BYH will be happy either way.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not happy to see Miller go, I think he's awesome, but couldn't be happier not to have to listen to Morgan anymore. I'm also grateful that Rick Sutcliffe won't be getting the primary color gig.

Schulman is top-notch and will do a good job. I've heard Hershiser a few times, but haven't really formed an opinion on him one way or the other.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No way it can be worse.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Joe Buck and Tim McCarver find your lack of faith disturbing.

6. YankeeFan

They can be annoying, but they're not wrong as often as Morgan is.

If McCarver would talk less, his insights would be appreciated better.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think Hershiser is the very best that ESPN has. He's a great analyst. Good for him.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I'm a Hershiser fan as well. He does an exceptional job of explaining thought processes and pitching in general. Love the Bulldog.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not that Morgan was a masterful analyst, but the fact that many saber bloggers will look upon this as an occasion for seeing triumph and dancing on a grave is disturbing.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm a big Orel Hershiser fan as an announcer, and I don't watch much baseball. I've always loved Jon Miller's voice a lot. I'll miss him.

But mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bobby V.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And why shouldn't they? He was flat-out bad at a public job. He should be relieved of that job, and no one should shed a tear. This isn't some steel worker losing his pension.

12. YankeeFan

Peter Gammons just tweeted, "I have known few people in my life who care more about the integrity of baseball than Joe Morgan."

So what? He's not a good baseball announcer. The criticism of him had been public & sustained. He has not worked to be a better baseball announcer.

He's been bad. He's stayed bad.

There is no good reason he should hold one of the most prestigious/high profile announcing jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted