1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fired Fresno State women's coach wins $19M in sex-discrimination lawsuit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

it is an ugly history, and it's one they deserve, too. they haven't treated women very well.

but this particular case...it's a shame it went this away, because this coach didn't deserve this verdict. She makes a great plaintiff - smart, well-spoken, outgoing, pretty - but she's the poster child for what a coach should not be.

Don't be too close to the players.
    Don't act like they're your little brothers/sisters.
    Don't be jealous of their athletic talents.
    Don't take your personal problems out on them.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm not defending Stacy. She's not someone I'd want near my daughter as a coach, but Fresno has got to wake and stop acting like it's still the 1950s. You can't treat women the way they do. I wish the coach who'd won this verdict was more deserving.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

http://www.fresnobee.com/static/dailypdfs/front.pdf

Pretty interesting Bee A1. Reading back through the clips, this was one pretty sultry trial.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums it up.

Of course, I doubt she'll ever see dime of it.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. I once saw one of their media guides during her tenure as coach. She made the SID do a multi-page layout of photos of her that probably could have made Maxim.
    The SID who did this, as the story goes, removed his or her name from the entire media guide because he or she didn't want to be associated with it.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

is that a cincinnati bowtie between her legs?

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Time to bring this thread back from the dead.

Ex-Fresno St. women's coach to be GM in CBA

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — A former women's basketball coach who sued Fresno State for sex discrimination announced Thursday has been hired as the general manager of a minor league professional men's team — and she's negotiating a movie deal.
    Stacy Johnson-Klein will begin her new job with the Lawton Fort Sill Cavalry in Oklahoma — the Continental Basketball Association's defending champions — on Friday.
    Johnson-Klein reached a $9 million settlement with Fresno State last month. A jury had originally awarded the coach a $19.1 million judgment following a theatrical, eight-week trial.
    “I'm a very strong woman, and I've been hired by great owners to work in a solid city that I love,” she said in an interview Thursday. “I'm going to do my best to break down any barriers that there could be and continue to build our sport.”
    The appointment makes her the 16-team league's second female general manager.
    As general manager of the Cavalry, Johnson-Klein will oversee budgets, market the team, recruit and sign players, broker trades and even sell tickets.
    Part of her contract also includes writing a book, and she said she expects to close a movie deal soon to tell the story of her life, beginning with her childhood in rural Oklahoma.
    “She's a great businesswoman and a great coach,” said Dennis Truax, the CBA's deputy commissioner. “She's also a woman, and a woman GM, and those things are unfortunately a rarity in all sports.”

From Precious Roy himself:

As this is my town and my beat, i'll say that she is not the "general manager" as we see it. Instead, she will be the vp of marketing as the head coach, Michael Ray Richardson, will be the basketball operations guy signing players and whatnot.
    The book deal is also not part of the contract, as I was told by the owners.
    Please see this before using that story, it doesn't have everything right.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I wouldn't hit it.

[/lying]

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Remember, this is the school that has a football coach with a handle bar moustache. Sexual harrassment lawsuits shouldn't surprise anyone.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is that what we're calling a Red X these days? :)

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

is that some kind of menstrual joke?

Draft saved Draft deleted