1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fired coach can always sub for Gallagher now

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DeskMonkey1, Oct 21, 2014.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: He can always sub for Gallagher now

You were trying too hard on the thread title. It doesn't give a clue what that story is really about.

It's an interesting story. It doesn't give enough info to know if there was any racist intent. Let's assume there wasn't. But between the celebration (which the person complaining said sounded like "monkey noises") and the fact that they involved a watermelon, is it enough to warrant the coach getting fired?

The story frustrated me, because it was missing all kinds of info I would like to have known. Unless the school district official is really unreasonable, or has a stick up his or her ass, the only plausible explanation I could imagine was them telling the coach that he needs to stop the kids from celebrating that way because people were perceiving it as racist... and the coach refusing (because he thought it was ridiculous) and getting fired as a result.

3. DeskMonkey1

Re: He can always sub for Gallagher now

Is this really the first post to do that or am I still getting heat for the poin file that wasn't?

4. DeskMonkey1

Based on that story alone, I wonder if it was really "monkey noises" or if it was just a bunch of kids hootin' and hollerin' and someone decided it was racist because...hell, just because.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are far from the first person to be criticized for a thread title like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted