1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fireable offense for Rick Reilly?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDJournalist, Oct 10, 2013.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear that Deadspin doesn't give a shit about that kind of stuff at all.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's worded awkwardly but I don't think Reilly is saying he knows the father-in law clearly feels differently than Reilly said. He's saying he clearly disagrees with idea Reilly portrayed him accurately. Which does make sense.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, OK. I can still write it. Deadspin has smart people, and maybe they could pull back on the throttle a little. I don't think the future of the site really hinges on the rage quotient of its media criticism. Then again, I get the sense they're almost irrationally angry at how the media business generally works.

4. DrewJo

DrewJo New Member

Yo dawgs, I know you like linking to Deadspin, but why not link to the original source?
    I'm sure they'd appreciate the clicks, since they're the ones who broke this story: http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/10/10/blackfeet-elder-says-rick-reilly-misquoted-him-wants-redskins-banned-151696

5. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

It's Rick Reilly and ESPN, so nothing will happen. Even if this turns out to be true.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Yeah. It'd be kinda like someone who had been around forever and won tons of major awards from his peers and writing best sellers all of a sudden making up a scene about two guys being at the Final Four when he wrote his column before the Final Four so there's no way he could've seen them there and the two guys didn't even show up so even if he had been there he wouldn't have seen them. No one that good and seasoned would ever do something stupid like that.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Burns closes by saying, "Let me be clear: The racial slur 'redskins' is not okay with me. It’s never going to be okay with me. It’s inappropriate, damaging and racist. In the memory of our Blackfeet relatives, it’s time to change the name."

So, Redskins bad. Bad!

And Blackfeet ... Good?

Should the Redskins change their name to Blackfeet?

That wouldn't offend anyone, would it? Holy shit, I haz a confuse ...

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the difference is that Blackfeet is a name they chose themselves.

And it has nothing to do with the color of their skin. It's because they painted their moccasins black.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Redskins name comes from when they were originally up in Boston and shared the Braves nickname, back when NFL teams did that sort of thing (Giants, Pirates to Steelers, Senators, Indians, Reds). Marshall changed it to keep the Indian connotation, but to something different.

Which really should mean that if the Redskins have to change their name, then the Braves should too. Yet, even though there is some pressure on the Atlanta organization, there doesn't seem to be the same level of it. Maybe part of that is because the Redskins are based in the nation's capital, but it still seems a little strange.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

FYI, I was talking about the group of people choosing their own name, not the teams.

11. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Was it a fireable offense when Deadspin completely fucked up their "Johnny Manziel ain't that rich" story because they completely misinterpreted Texas legal documents and then built an entire false premise around that story to fit into a "Dur! Media sux!" narrative?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted