1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fireable offense for Rick Reilly?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDJournalist, Oct 10, 2013.

1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

It turns out he may have misquoted HIS FATHER-IN-LAW in a column he wrote defending the Redskins name.

http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-american-indian-father-in-law-says-reilly-1443599450?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's not what the article says. It says he misquoted him and left several key points out.

I think people are probably impressed that someone quoted in one of Reilly's stories actually exists. :D

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

My bad. Edited the original post to reflect as such.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's a fireable offence for plebes like us. But it's Rick Reilly, so nothing will happen.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Why am I to all of a sudden believe the father-in-law, especially when Reilly knew this piece would get good play, considering it's a hot-button issue? My gut feeling is the father-in-law got some shit over it and changed his tune. I know he's not loved here, but Reilly is too good and too seasoned to pull this kind of crap.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would be very surprised if anyone can point to an example of a writer being fired for misquoting someone.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This was my first thought as well. Reilly's column was published almost a full month ago. A bit fishy that he took so long to set the record straight.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Reilly just put on Twitter:

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To be fair, if the above is true, than a month or so is not all that fishy. Somebody calls his attention to the article . . . he asks Reilly to correct it . . . decides enough time has passed that his request has been ignored . . . and tells his side of the story.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If he "clearly feels differently" how could Reilly pass on the exact opposite of his sentiment in that column?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What's more disturbing is that Deadspin and The Big Lead, without getting Reilly's side, used some form of the word "fire" in their posts. I mean, shit. Can't ESPN decide who it does and doesn't fire? Does Deadspin and The Big Lead like it when media outlets call for their employees to be fired?

Draft saved Draft deleted