1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fire John Idzik

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So great. Someone flew a plane over Jet practice today with a fire
    John Idzik banner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The looks on Idzik and Ryan's faces are classic

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/11/look_airplane_trailing_fire_john_idzik_banner_circles_jets_practice_field.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Boom,

Do you think there is any chance they get rid of Idzik and not Ryan?

I tend to think Ryan is gone no matter what, in part because I doubt he would even lobby to keep his job.

It is nice to see the fans going after the GM and not the coach.

3. Boom_70

Small chance but any GM worthwhile is going to want his own coach so I think
    that Ryan is gone either way.

Idzik is a clown and needs to go regardless.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I do believe there is a slim chance. Very slim. Woody johnson is apparently afraid that Ryan will be successful in another head coaching stint and he will have a Belichick II situation on his hands.

Either way I agree. Idzik has been a disaster and left Ryan with a secondary and set of receivers that wouldn't start in the Sun Belt.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I agree with that, but it would be almost unprecedented to force Ryan on another GM.

6. Boom_70

So this morning you have Jet media members defending Idzik and criticizing fans
    who paid for the plane. Seems a tad hypocritical since the media has been so critical
    of Idzik and is partly responsible for the fans bad feelings.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/45733/results-will-determine-idziks-fate-not-banners-and-billboards

"There are a lot of disgruntled fans when you're 1-8, but who would go to the extent of hiring a plane? If you have a problem with Idzik, call a radio show to vent or, better yet, don't go to the games. It's hard to defend his record, but the banner and the soon-to-be-unveiled billboards near MetLife Stadium serve only to cast the entire fan base in an unflattering light.

In other words, get a life. We're talking about the general manager of a football team, not an elected government official. "

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What if Rex hired the plane?

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"It's hard to defend his record, but the banner and the soon-to-be-unveiled billboards near MetLife Stadium serve only to cast the entire fan base in an unflattering light."

Quite the opposite actually. I think most outside observers would give a thumbs up for the fans (or whoever is responsible) for speaking out in a unique and public manner.

9. Boom_70

Agreed. Odd that it's ok for Jet media to criticize Idzik but not the fans. A billboard
    if you have the funds is way more productive than going on Francesa and having him
    hang up on you because he disagrees with your premise.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yep. Somebody goes to the trouble of hiring a plane, I'm listening.

Seems odd that Cimini would write something like that.

11. Boom_70

Based on Cheshire Cat grin on Rex's face he very well may
    have.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Vinny from Queens going on Francesa to complain about Idzik wouldn't even be a blip on Woody's radar. But some schmoe hiring a plane to fly a banner over practice or a kickstarted campaign that results in putting up a billboard demanding Idzik's ouster is sure to at least get his attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted