1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fire Joe Morgan

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 14, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you are getting at, Alma. Would it have made you feel better if it was revealed that he was writing from his mom's basement?

That site has blasted out some devastating critiques over the last couple years. Just great stuff, IMO. It shouldn't come as a shock that the writers get paid to write for a living.

Maybe I am missing your point.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would me more troubled to find out that Alama really is a 12 year old writing from his basement.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I poorly communicated my point....

What I was saying was: Now that you know he's a TV writer (and a pretty good one, considering some of the The Office episodes he's penned) is it possible some of this is...put on? I mean, I've read the site, always felt like some of the rage was a bit over the top. I actually find the blog obtuse.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I would ask this way: What's less creepy, a professional writer having some fun, or a crazed obsessed fan who actually took the time to create a website about Joe Morgan??

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's like finding out one of the struggling designers on Project Runway is Stefano Gabbana of Dolce & Gabbana.

He's a pro. Meh.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Turn the discussion around another way:

I'm not really a Deadspin guy, but for those who are ... if Will Leitch had been writing for the New York Times (as he has done in the last year) before creating his blog, would it make the site any less better?

Talent is talent. If you're good enough to write for The Office, you're good enough to write for the P-D FJM. Both are fantastic.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're saying there's a chance I could messageboard my way into a job at the Plain-Dealer?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought Fire Joe Morgan was a reference to the former Boston Red Sox manager.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just spent half-an-hour over there . . . first time in a couple of weeks . . .
    still hysterical. Kudos.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll still read it, it's been one of my favorite BLOGS! for a long time. But I thought it was written by four average joes (they even had a post once that said as much, with fake companies but still giving the impression they were everyday white-collar stiffs), so knowing one is a pro takes a little away for me. But not enough to give it up.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

At least BLOGS! that are done by semi-professionals give the blogosphere credibility, if there was any to begin with. But then others pretty much balance it back out.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to reemphasize part of Alma's point:

The site regularly mocks those in the media who favor "intangibles" over things like statistics. Stuff like Joe Morgan's assertion that he has a "feel" for who is the best second baseman of all time (himself), even though statistics do not back this up, and Plaschke's dismissal of "stat geeks" in favor of grizzled old scouts who just "know" someone can be a ballplayer are mocked regularly.

Alma's pointing out an interesting point: Isn't so much of comedy based on intangibles? On something that's impossible to quantify like "feel"? I don't know what exactly it is that makes John Krasinski and Rainn Wilson so good at deadpan comedy, but I know they're outstanding, and that the show would not work nearly as well (and Schur's lines would not be nearly as funny) if these two actors weren't so good at what they do.

How does one compare who's funnier: Rainn Wilson or Will Arnett? There's really no way to do it, and some would argue that it's kind of like saying that Jim Rice deserves to be in the HOF, even though statistically he might not measure up to some other hitters. Is Rainn Wilson funnier than George Wendt? I think so. Is Will Arnett funnier than Jason Alexander? I think so. But I can't prove either one of these statements.

It isn't like a "gotcha!" point, it's just interesting.

Lastly the fact that Schur is the author actually makes me like the site more, not less. Office Olympics, Christmas Party and The Job (all of which he wrote) are three of my favorite episodes of the entire series.

Draft saved Draft deleted