1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FIOS - Where Have You Been All My Life??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Yeah, and it didn't help that Jake had a high, squeaky voice.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hacker, we have FIOS at the "main" house in Richmond and it is the same thing for us. Or her now. I get at least three calls a week -- "tell me again how I reset this F-ing Internet??" When she gets back from Honduras, I think we're going to nuke Comcast there and I'll send her back with the MyFi I had been using her until Heaven arrived.

She was here last night before flying out this a.m. I plugged my password into her iPad. She must have said "holy shit this is fast" about 100 times. She got on and FaceTimed with our daughter and it was like real time, none of that bad connection bouncing and delay.

Plus I watched the Nats and the Caps yesterday in HighDef. Hadn't been able to do that here before.

Time to see a doctor. It has been WAY more than four hours.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Digging this up because I'm moving to a FiOS-enabled community, finally. Moddy, you still in love with it?

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

Switched from Comcast to Fios in January. Faster internet, more channels and $100 a month less than I was paying before. Yeah, I love it.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I got a deal for free NFL Sunday Ticket next season but I have to keep DirecTV through December. Have had it for 15 years but am ready to explore other options in the interest of saving money.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Mine is a FIOS house, too. My girlfriend's house is Comcast. I've had Comcast before. If this relationship progresses, where ever we live will absolutely have FIOS.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read somewhere that we're about a year away from having access to Internet service that would allow us to download a full movie in seconds...

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've had trouble with their billing recently. They charged me for returned boxes, even though I had the UPS tracking info that they were returned. They also charge to visit your house, even when things are their screwup. They back down when you threaten to switch, but I think there has been a slight dip in quality over the past year.

9. Not going to happen anytime soon. The servers that deliver content need to upgrade speeds as well.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Made the switch from DirecTV to FIOS last week. Well, I ordered it anyway. Installation is in a couple weeks. Looking forward to it. Reached my tipping point when two days of rain interrupted my signal. Oh, and that roughly 1% of the OnDemand section on DirecTV is in HD.

I'm getting the TV/Internet combo, with the highest TV package (all movie and sports packages included) and the next to highest internet speed, and I'll end up paying about $30 less each month than what I have now with DirecTV and Comcast (internet). Oh, and I get RedZone, which is awesome.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Had FiOS installed Thursday.

So far, so good. I do some site management stuff from home, and I'm noticing the speed difference vs. Comcast when it comes to uploading elements and connecting via VPN.

We're not saving $$$, but we're getting more than we were for about the same price. I do have to somehow live without CBS Sports Network, though.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I was prepared to go with a lesser cable package, but it didn't come with a slew of sports channels I wanted. However, I was definitely going to get HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax. In the end, it was cheaper to get the highest cable package (which came with Showtime and Cinemax) and just add HBO for like $18 a month (half that for the first year) instead of getting a cheaper cable package and adding ALL the movie channels.

RedZone's inclusion in the cable package made it a no-brainer.

Draft saved Draft deleted