1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fiona Apple Arrested for Hash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Meatie Pie, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've always respected her more than I've really loved her music. I admire the risks she takes and I think she's a really interesting thinker/writer. I don't think she's wasted her talent. I think you need to think about it from a larger perspective, Devil. I think she's a very damaged person who probably had a very difficult time just putting out those four albums. To her, that might very well be an enormous output. I think -- and most of the pieces written about her seem to confirm this -- she would have rather killed herself than remake Tidal six times or have some Sweedish Svengali come in and help her write pop songs. She's battled pretty severe depression her entire life. I think it's kind of remarkable she's done what she's done, despite that.

2. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I think the breakup with P.T. Anderson did lasting damage to her. They seemed to be well-paired and were together a long time.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Please quit making good points. :)

4. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

She was a guest on Marc Maron's WTF Podcast this summer. Good interview.

5. Double Down

I'm going to say getting raped as a teenager did a lot more lasting damage to her than Paul Thomas Anderson ever could have.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yep. And I pretty much agree with everything DD wrote, except for I do love her music.

7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I don't necessarily think Maya Rudolph is a step up from Fiona Apple in her prime as a woman or as an artist.

There are rumors she's been doing harder shit than hash, which would explain the appearance.

8. Double Down

Fiona looks like about 60 percent of the pretty girls I went to high school with. She looks like a 35-year-old woman now. I don't think she looks like a meth head. I think she's just aged realistically.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I lost track of Fiona Apple over the years, so I did a Google search to catch up, and then I came across this, which is great stuff to keep around for whenever you might need it:

While accepting the 1997 MTV Video Music Award for "Best New Artist", she proclaimed: "This world is bullshit, and you shouldn't model your life on what you think that we think is cool, and what we're wearing and what we're saying," referring to the mainstream music industry.

She quoted Maya Angelou: "Go with yourself."

Some considered her remarks hypocritical, seeing a contradiction between her appearance in a risqué music video in only her underwear, and her telling young women to ignore celebrity culture. She was unapologetic, however: "When I have something to say, I'll fuckin' well say it."

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Marijuana possession in Texas of less than 2 ounces is punishable by a fine of no more than $500. The cop can write you a ticket and let you go.

The harsher penalty for hashish can and should be challenged on the same grounds that the crack vs. powder cocaine penalties were reversed.

Draft saved Draft deleted