1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finished high school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by god shamgod, Jun 11, 2006.

1. god shamgod

god shamgod New Member

Hi I'm new here. I think this is a great forum for anyone looking for any oppurtunities in this cut-throat sector. I'm 17, and just got accepted into university! Fuckin scared. . . .

I was just wondering. . . .

I want to go into journalism. I love writing. But I also love business. I watch CNBC everyday, and I don't even own any stock! I figure I could combine my two passions and go into business journalism. I love REPORTING, so something with immedicay. I know it's fast paced, but I live off that kind of adrenaline rush.

I was just wondering if there is a growth sector left in journalism, and worth going into, or should I take the safe route and just go into the busines sector?

Thanks.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If you want to make money, go into business.
    If you want to not make money, go into journalism.

After that, it's all a personal choice best left up to you. You can be happy, and grow personally and professionally, doing either one. You can be bitter and frustrated and cynical doing either one.

3. spud

spud Member

When I looked into colleges, most all of them pushed their business journalism programs as a means to earn a pretty solid flow of money. From everything I've heard, people who write these business journals and the business section of papers such are usually in demand and make a decent amount of cash. You're not going to make a ton of money no matter where you go if your heart is set on writing, but the business world is probably the closest you'll get.

Iif business journalism is what you want to do, you can find your way doing it, period. If a guy can make his living following around a sports team, he can do it analyzing stocks and bonds and portfolios and whatever else those crazy cats do.

That said, I don't have much experience outside of the sports world, so maybe somebody else could help you a bit more.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Who the hell says, "I got accepted INTO UNIVERSITY."

5. JME

JME Member

A bigger question is at your age, how do you even know who Shamgod is?

6. spud

spud Member

Maybe he's one of those Europinos.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He may be one of those ther Canadians

8. JME

JME Member

RUN!!

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Pretty much most everyone outside the U.S., BBam. Kinda like the metric system or the World Cup.

Don't pay any attention to it, and I'm sure it will go away. :)

10. LukieDookie

LukieDookie New Member

If you love business, tell ya what...there's a lot of money out there for someone who can write about that sort of stuff. These folks have a ton of dough and a "message" to convey, but the field always lacks enough people who can tell a noun from a verb.

That's the prob w/ sports journalism. We get paid sh*t because there are 20 people right behind us willing to cover a HS volleyball game for $5 and the pleasure of having your mom see your name in the paper.

But lucky you - you don't have to decide yet. Get in there, and between keg stands and random dates with chicks you met on Facebook, try out every facet of the field - and freelance as much as you can. So when the time comes to figure out what you want to do, you'll have dabbled in everything.

11. BRoth

BRoth Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

Also, I just started reading "No Time Outs" by Chris Walsh and it's shaping up to be one of those "must reads" for newbies.

Draft saved Draft deleted