1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fingerprint and Drug Test Public Housing Residents?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Humungus

Humungus Member

just wondering, but how would this drug testing work? would you be tested one time? if so, you could just stay clean for a few weeks, pass the test and move in with no problem. afterward you could do all the drugs you want -- which is what i did and do now at my job.

or you would randomly drug test all residents several times a year?

of course there's also alcohol abuse, which you can't really test.

another thing we could do is ban all guns from public housing. i mean, if we're really concerned about public safety.

2. Humungus

Humungus Member

also, i know we were joking about this, but why do people only want to drug test poor people?

i understand the whole "that's my tax money" thing, but lots of people get government money.

for example, federal student loans. wouldn't college kids be a lot more likely to be getting high and using drugs? why not drug test them?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because wealthy people and college kids aren't having shootouts on the streets over drugs.

4. Humungus

Humungus Member

and you think drug testing will stop that?

also, you didn't address how the drug testing would work. once a month, random, once a year?

5. Humungus

Humungus Member

also, where are all the board's self-described libertarians?

some are proposing randomly drug testing US citizens. What would Rand Paul say?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

From the Trib article, which was excerpted and linked to in the original post:

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't think it's part of the libertarian code to live in government housing.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My idea wasn't based on drug testing. My idea is based upon convictions.

9. Humungus

Humungus Member

so renters know when they keep clean for a few weeks to pass their drug test? that doesn't seem very effective.

don't you think random drug tests would work better?

also, what about youths living in those complexes? unfortunately, a lot of crime is committed by people under the age of 18 ! it seems like to be sure we should start random drug testing of anyone living in public housing starting at say, 14 years old.

what does everyone think?

10. Humungus

Humungus Member

true. there probably aren't many libertarians living in public housing. but that's not really the point.

one thing i admire about libertarians -- well, the only thing, really -- is the consistency of their beliefs. they believe in individual rights and freedoms !

can you call yourself a true libertarian if you're OK with random drug testing by the government? i don't know. that's probably something worth discussing.

Draft saved Draft deleted