1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fingerprint and Drug Test Public Housing Residents?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Given all the crime and corruption that erupts around government contracts, perhaps this drug-testing plan should be expanded to executives at businesses with government deals and/or special tax breaks (TIFs, enterprise zones, etc.). Halliburton could start its executive meetings with a collective pee in the cup.

2. Humungus

Humungus Member

everyone that receives even 1 penny of my tax dollars should be drug tested.

if you're on medicare, receive social security, get any kind of tax breaks, etc., then they should be tested.

i get tested at work. why shouldn't people that receive government funding get tested?

3. Humungus

Humungus Member

i can just see it now:

a drug-dealing, gang member is about to visit a government housing project, but he sees a security guard at the door and he thinks, "oh wait! there's a guard and i have to show i.d.? never mind."

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's right. Anyone who gets the mortgage deduction, child deduction, takes any charity deduction, drives on roads, etc., should get drug-tested. We should start with babies right out of the womb, just to get a step ahead.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In addition to security guards, the NYPD patrols NYCHA buildings.

If someone were to enter a building without having reason to, and could be identified as such, the NYPD could arrest that individual.

And, they are going to need a way to better identify who does, and does not, live in these buildings, and who is a guest of a legal tenant, if they lose the next lawsuit:

6. YankeeFan

You guys should take this show on the road. It's hilarious!

But, I bet it wouldn't be so funny if you lived in public housing, or if your elderly parent did.

7. Humungus

Humungus Member

brilliant. all of our inner city problems are solved. we just need a guard and a sign-in sheet. how come no one else thought of this?

i can see it now, a drug dealer with a proper i.d. goes to the guard, and in the field where it says "reason for visit" he writes "CRACK".

8. YankeeFan

The folks who think drug testing and other anti-crime initiatives are "too expensive" and "not worth it" never factor in all the costs.

Crime drives out law abiding citizens, and reduces the tax base.

People like this kid won't move to cities if crime is not addressed:

He has no need to live in the city. He grew up, and works in the suburbs. But, he's the kind of resident the city needs.

9. Humungus

Humungus Member

i wasn't going to buy that duplex next to the crack house, but now that they have a guard and a sign-in sheet i'm putting my deposit down tomorrow.

10. YankeeFan

You're right. This is impossible to manage.

That's why you have drug dealers and gang members roaming the halls of the New York Times building, 30 Rock, and various courthouses. There's no way to keep 'em out.

11. Humungus

Humungus Member

yes, the only reason there aren't drug dealers and gang members roaming the halls of the New York Times building, 30 Rock, and various courthouses is because they have a guard and a sign-in sheet.

that's the reason.

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

If my tax dollars are paying your rent, damned right that drug tests should be administered. You can choose to illegally smoke crack if you want. Or rob people. Or deal drugs. Or you can live in subsidized housing. But if you ask me, you shouldn't be able to do both.

Choices. Life's full of them. People should be held to account for theirs. It's not fair to the decent folks who live in subsidized housing to have to put up with the junkies and dealers ruining their neighborhoods.

Draft saved Draft deleted